Important!!!! - Ellen Coleman is missing

General Palm Springs area.

Important!!!! - Ellen Coleman is missing

Postby KathyW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:47 pm

I received an email from Ellen's family. She did not come home last night and her car is still in the tram parking lot.

Search and rescue has been notified and are looking for her. If you have any information that would help find her, please notify her family and search and rescue.

Email contacts for her family:

edit to delete email addresses now that Ellen is safe.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do to help find her??? I will try to reach search and rescue to see if there's anything we can do to help and post the info.

Kathy
Last edited by KathyW on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KathyW

Postby KathyW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:08 pm

If anyone has information that will help the search and rescue teams on the mountain find Ellen, please give them a call:

Contact info:

http://www.rmru.org/contact.htm
KathyW

Important!! Ellen Coleman is missing

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:02 pm

This is very distressing. I think Scott is already helping out. I get a feeling from RMRU they dont want us on the ground but would appreciate any other help that they can get. Jim Bakos of RMRU who lives in Nuevo did not leave any contact info.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Perry » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Here is a quote from Ellen's family:
We had assumed she had gotten stuck on the mountain but other sources said she was seen leaving the mountain at 1 pm with a man that had a beard.

I hope this is just car troubles and cell phone problems. This is disturbing. It's possible that someone mistakenly thought somebody else was Ellen, and she may still be up on the mountain. (Why would she not at least drive her car down the road?) I don't have proper clothing with me at work right now to go out on a night search, but if somebody provided me with winter boots and a jacket I would ride up the tram tonight...

-Perry
760 808-2205
I like microtones in microdoses.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:13 pm

If that source is the tram video cameras, then likely nobody is searching on the mountain.

In my car I have a pair of 9x30 redfeather snowshoes with deep stainless steel teeth. Also a pair of poles with powder baskets. I can cover a lot of ground in one night. Ideally, a helicopter and infrared night vision equipment would be the best, but we have had high winds today in Palm Springs.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Okay, there's a lot of cloud cover, so a GPS would be necessary. I would do it. It wouldn't surprise me if she's in the peak shelter.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby KathyW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Her family said they think she's still up on the mountain. They are pretty sure that was someone else with the bearded man.

Search and rescue is on the mountain looking for her. I talked to Corporal Garvin (not sure if I'm spelling it correct). They have a number of teams on the mountain searching and told me it's pretty bad up there. His number is (edit to delete phone number now that the search is over) if anyone has any info that will help.

I wish there was something I could do to help, but rmru has coverage on the mountain and doesn't want others to end up in trouble up there if they head out in these conditions.
Last edited by KathyW on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
KathyW

Important!! Ellen Coleman is missing

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Kathy - Thanks for the contact info at RMRU
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby lee » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:42 pm

I was with 9 other hikers doing the tram to San Jacinto Peak via Miller Peak yesterday, Saturday:
http://hiking.meetup.com/217/calendar/6888746/
Ed, the organizer, and 3 others made the Summit. I and the rest topped out at 10.2K just below Miller peak. I am trying to reach Ed to ask him if he saw a blond lady at the peak. Ed got to the top around 1:30pm.
I remember seeing about 4 people in 2 separate groups passing us.
I and a few others took the 8am tram up. The rest of our group took the 2nd tram and we left the tram mountain station at 8:35am.
Let me know if I can provide further info.
lee

Postby KathyW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Here's a picture of Ellen for those who have not met her and were out on the mountain yesterday:

Image[/img]
KathyW

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains