Skyline Conditions Update: Winter or Spring?...hmmm...

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline Conditions Update: Winter or Spring?...hmmm...

Postby Sally » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Several groups went up Skyline today to brave last nights big spring storm. The prediction: 80 MPH winds, blizzards, drifts of snow. The actuality: hail that seemed to come out of nowhere, gentle breezes, sunshine, humidity, and mudslides (You step in the mud, then you slide.)

Our group consisted of Ellen, Marilyn, Zippetydude, Neverwashasbeen, and myself. The lower section still had a great assortment of tiny wildflowers and blooming cacti. When we got a bit higher we were thrilled to see a good amount of snow and rime ice in the San Jacintos and San Gorgonio was gleaming white in the distance.

By the time we got up past Flat Rock we were in quickly melting snow and mud. I had come prepared with several layers of warm clothing and raingear which I didn't need. What REALLY would have been handy were my microspikes that were in the trunk of my car, not so much for the snow but to keep me from slipping in the mud. By the time we got to the switchbacks before Grubb's Notch the trail had better snow coverage but it was still rather slushy.

ANYHOW, for any of you who plan on doing Skyline tomorrow, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST traction for your shoes, because if it gets below freezing tonight, all that slush is going to turn to ICE! Trekking poles are also very helpful.

All in all, it was a beautiful day with great company. Pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... sItWinter#
Sally

Re: Skyline Conditions Update: Winter or Spring?...hmmm...

Postby HH8 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:02 am

Sally wrote:Several groups went up Skyline today to brave last nights big spring storm.

Short and very sweet. Thanks for the timely conditions report
HH8

Postby sdpacatc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Yeah we saw your group breeze past us. Our first time up, I was "loaded for bear" with all the winter gear and extra water, I was even expecting to spend some time in the rain, but instead we had clear weather all the way up to the top ( and little mud slides). We wanted to head all the way up to the top, but our legs only carried us to the tram :D
sdpacatc

Re: Skyline Conditions Update: Winter or Spring?...hmmm...

Postby LuckyYogi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Sally wrote:Several groups went up Skyline today to brave last nights big spring storm.

Thanks for the update! not doing skyline yet your detailed report helps to visualize what I could expect on marion trail.
LuckyYogi

Postby NickersonHikes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 am

Yea headed up pretty early in the morning (4am start at Ramon). The air was still a little moist but we didn't get any actual rain. We ran into a group of 4 later in the morning heading back down the mountain. They had started earlier than us and got rained on for a good portion of their hike. Since there was still dense fog at the tram and they could see the snow line, they decided to turn around at 4500ft (some were in shorts, so I don't blame them).

We hit some light flurries of snow/hail once we got to 5000+ but nothing really bad. The dense fog at the tram seemed to dissipate as we got closer and was clear as ever by the time we got there. We didnt really hit much snow on the trail until the traverse, but there was a group ahead of us that trail blazed the snow so the path was easy to follow. The snow was still thick (not to slushy) when we got to it around 10 or 11am.

Trekking poles were extremely helpful, I didn't end up using my extra tread though I probably should have in some points.

We made it all the way to the peak, and let me tell ya, the peak trail is much more enjoyable if you take just take the tram up. After Skyline trail, the peak trail is just loooong but the views were pretty amazing, low clouds covered the west, and nothing but clear skies to the east.

All in all, 4am start and took the 5:15 tram down. Not too shabby.
I climbed a mountain, then I turned around.
NickersonHikes

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Howdy All :)

About half way between the picnic tables and the Rescue 1 box, the elusive Zip flew up to greet us:

Note the color of vestments -- this allows the Zip to blend into his natural habitat.

Skyline sightings of the Zip have become increasingly rare. The Zip, like certain other members of this forum, has speedy alien DNA. Thus, it was very special to see him -- he had to slow down enough to be visible to the naked eye :wink:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains