Skyline in some rain/wind?

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline in some rain/wind?

Postby skygazer242 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 am

Hi all,
We are planning to hike Skyline this Saturday the 26th (to tram only). I'm thrilled the forecast calls for very cool weather...but now the forecast says wind and chance of rain. Now, I hike a lot and am not afraid of a little wind/rain, but I've never done this trail before. If by chance, it downpours and gets gusty are there sections that will be difficult to navigate? Severe weather looks very unlikely this weekend, I just like to know these things going in. I research the hell out of everything :lol:
Thanks!
skygazer242

windy = no tram?

Postby skygazer242 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 am

I just realized if it's windy enough they'll won't run the tram, right? And Idyllwild is calling for snow. I'd love some feedback from the Skyline regulars! I really want to do this hike but if the tram was closed when we got there, wow, that would be less than awesome...
skygazer242

Rain/Snow Likely

Postby NickersonHikes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 am

I also have a group thinking about hiking up Skyline on Saturday (3/26) who haven't done it before. This is according to the local meteorologist:

"Rain changes in the mountains are mostly overnight Friday into early Saturday. If you go before 10am Saturday, you could run into some sprinkles/light snow depending on your elevation. Snow levels will likely drop to 5000 feet early Saturday, with a few inches possible. You'll likely deal with gusty winds either way, so it'll be feeling pretty chilly Saturday in the higher elevations." - Meteorologist Rob Bradley

That sounds pretty grim. The trail shouldn't be too difficult in the rain but snow would be a problem. Now the snow would probably melt off later in the day but I'd highly recommending bringing someone along who knows the trail in case there is a few inches of snow. Also, plan to bring crampons and an ice ax...the last mile or two of Skyline would be a doozy if there was still snow.

I'm still not sure if we're going to pull the trigger on it.
I climbed a mountain, then I turned around.
NickersonHikes

Postby zippetydude » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 am

Crampons and an ice axe? No worries friend. There's no base of snow, if there should be a couple inches and you slip on the snow, you won't land on a big smooth layer of snow and go rocketing down the mountain, you'll just land on the rocky ground and have to get back up again. That's it.

As far as finding the way, the trail is pretty clear nowadays, even up at the top, and there are tons of regulars going all through April and May, trying to get in a few trips before the heat becomes a danger. There will be plenty of company, you're not going to get lost if you just follow somebody who's a regular.

BTW, it will be cool down below (and probably quite cold at the top) so if you have to go back down for any reason, it will be safe to do so. Just bring a little something to keep you warm as you get near the top.

The wind out on the desert floor is not the same as the wind going up Skyline. Skyline is in a somewhat protected area. A couple weeks ago when the wind was shredding the valley floor I was up on Skyline getting kind of hot, there was just a little breeze, no wild wind. They very seldom have wind problems at the tram for the same reason.

In short, this is probably a perfect weekend to go. You'll find beautiful conditions, though maybe a little drizzle along the way, and there are few opportunities to catch this kind of weather on Skyline. I'm hoping to go again this weekend myself. If so, I'll see you there!

z
zippetydude

Postby Sally » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 am

It sounds like PERFECT Skyline weather to me. I'm planning on being there.

This is what it could be like on Saturday:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10094773 ... banner=pwa
Sally

Postby beantown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Hey everyone this is a little off topic but I was planning to backpack Saturday up south ridge to lrv or possibly rv. I'm not worried about a little rain or snow. Just the wind. I've never hiked the south ridge trail would it get a lot of wind?
beantown

Postby NickersonHikes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm

I like to be prepared for anything and grades above 20% with likely snow shouldn't be taken lightly. But yes, if you have 'em, bring 'em. If not, don't go out and buy them just for this trip. At the very least bring some additional traction for your shoes. No one wants to slip and sprain something.

As for South Ridge Trail, I don't know... but to close the loop on the tramway concerns, I got this from the Aerial Tramway:

"Strong wind storms to be expected for Friday and Saturday. If winds become steady with 60 plus miles an hour we will stop running the Tram cars.
Please call us at: 760.325.1449 for a weather update as of 8am."

I highly doubt they'll have sustained winds of 60mph plus for an hour, but give 'em a call if you have reception on the trail and they can let you know for sure.

As always,
Keep Calm and Hike On
I climbed a mountain, then I turned around.
NickersonHikes

Postby skygazer242 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks Zippetydude and Sally - that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!
Last edited by skygazer242 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skygazer242

Postby sdpacatc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:38 pm

I'll be on the trail as well. Planning on taking of from the museum at 4am. Hope to run into a few of you :D

This should be an interesting weekend for weather.
sdpacatc

Postby zippetydude » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm

The start time is not a great predictor of finish times. Instead, what time are you hoping to hit Grubb's Notch? I'm good for a reunion at the notch! I don't care if we hit the bar or not, I just enjoy the company. I'll plan on starting after the main group and then having fun from Flat Rock on up chattin' with fellow Skyliners. I see online that Kathryn and the club are heading up as well.

z
zippetydude

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains