Done in by a Rabbit a week before Easter

General Palm Springs area.

Done in by a Rabbit a week before Easter

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am

Howdy All :)

Rabbit and Villager have been on my bucket list for quite some time. The first time Speedy Steve went, he posted that his ass was kicked by a Rabbit, so I was understandingly nervous about undertaking this challenge.

Cindy picked me up early Palm Sunday (3:15 AM). We picked up Lindella in Bermuda Dunes and met Nei and Dagmar at Borega Springs at 6 AM. Drove back to the trailhead and started up through the desert at 6:30.

I was enthralled by the views as we climbed. Loved the area where the trail closely hugs the steep granite cliffs. We took short hourly fuel breaks and before long, we were traversing up through rocks to Villager. Every time I thought we were at the summit, the peak kept moving away -- arrgh. Finally reached Villager at 11 AM, cached some water and had lunch.

I had struggled the last half hour up to Villager and was beginning to question whether I could summit Rabbit. Our turn around time was 2 PM. Fortunately, I started feeling better as we descended down the ridge towards our objective. There is a significant amount of climbing and dropping on the ridge between Villager and Rabbit but the views of the Salton Sea are spectacular.

We finally reached the last big, steep climb and headed up. After grinding away, we finally reached the summit of Rabbit (~1:45 PM) and had our second long fuel break of the day. Loved the view of Toro from the summit. Alas, we had to go down, which required being very deliberate so we wouldn't have intimate encounters with rocks, brush and cactus. Then it was up and down the ridge back over to Villager. The Salton Sea was so blue and vast, it looked like part of the sky.

Once we retrieved our cache, we headed down. I was not looking forward to this section. It seemed that the rocks, yucca and cholla were strategically placed to thwart our attempt to descend unscathed. We had to be very deliberate and concentrate on each step, which is difficult when you're tired. At one point, I fell back and Nei caught me before I landed on my butt. This caused me to be extra vigilant.

The sun started to set after we had passed the steep granite section. The moon was nearly full and absolutely gorgeous against the backdrop of the desert landscape and plants. Put on our headlmaps and continued to descend and descend and descend....Where the hell was that desert floor? Finally the grade leveled out and we were going up and down desert gullies back towards the trailhead.

The pace increased significantly when Nei casually mentioned that we had crossed a canyon frequented by mountain lions on the hunt for big horn sheep. We rolled on through the sandy landscape, dreaming of our cars and food. Car lights and sounds tortured us for a good 15 minutes before we finally reached the trailhead. It was 9 PM, holy cow! Said exhausted goodbyes, loaded up and headed home.

We drove through Carl's Jr. in Bermuda Dunes. We were so shattered that we almost left without the food after paying for it :lol: Cindy dropped me off at midnight. Thanks to both Cindy and Lindella for driving and to Nei and Dagmar for leading us -- could not have done this trip without all of you.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Rabbit/Villager

Postby RickC » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:57 am

Nice job. What a long day. Must have been exhausting in a good way. Great time of year to do that one.
RickC

Done in by a rabbit a week before Easter

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Congratulation Ellen and awesome helpers. Very few people can do this in one day

Here is a trip report from Summitpost

http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports/villager_1.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Ellen

Postby Sally » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Congratulations, Ellen and company! That's a heck of a long day - no wonder you were toast yesterday. I wonder if, had I been able to go, I would have made it to Rabbit.

Thanks for posting the pics. Did you tell Cindy to quit clowning around by the edge of the cliff?!! Good gravy!
Sally

Postby halhiker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 pm

I know the feeling that comes after a long day on Rabbit. My late mother-in-law saw me after I did this hike the first time and she told me afterward she knows what I'll look like when I'm dead. I was a walking corpse. (Of course, after a couple beers and some pizza I was back amongst the living). I think it's one of the tougher hikes in the area although I've got one in mind that just might top it.

More on that later…
halhiker

Postby 2600fromatari » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Would I be correct if I guessed Peak 6582? Multiple wounds from multiple cacti on that one. Nasty little mountain...

halhiker wrote:I know the feeling that comes after a long day on Rabbit. My late mother-in-law saw me after I did this hike the first time and she told me afterward she knows what I'll look like when I'm dead. I was a walking corpse. (Of course, after a couple beers and some pizza I was back amongst the living). I think it's one of the tougher hikes in the area although I've got one in mind that just might top it.

More on that later…
2600fromatari

Postby Ellen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Howdy Hal :)

I feel much better knowing that my hiking mentor felt like a walking corpse. I see we share similar recovery nutrition strategies :wink:

Told Sally yesterday that I need some time to forget how hard it was before I go again.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains