Follow Ellen and Sally on the Snow Creek PCT to Tram on Wed

General Palm Springs area.

Follow Ellen and Sally on the Snow Creek PCT to Tram on Wed

Postby Ellen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 am

Howdy All :)

Sally and I are headed up this Wednesday November 7. I'll be using SPOT tracking if you'd like to follow our progress.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... M9qss1pPNN

We'll start around 3:30 AM. Should be at the tram by 5:30 PM. I've already assured Sally that we'll start at the actual TH and not loop around aimlessly for two hours :oops:

I'd like to do this hike again on a Sunday with the Craigmeister and others. However, due to the chance for snow Thursday afternoon through Saturday, we decided to go sooner versus later. An early snow storm cancelled this hike last year.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Postby tinaballina » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 am

Nice work pain sista.
tinaballina

Postby Ellen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Howdy Tina :)

Tina who? :wink: Just kidding -- love you and miss you Pain Sista 8)

I think I don't see you more often because you are so fast that the space and time continuum has been altered :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Follow Ellen and Sally on the Snow Creek PCT to Tram on

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

Ellen wrote: I've already assured Sally that we'll start at the actual TH and not loop around aimlessly for two hours :oops:
What? And take all the fun out of it? :lol:

Looks like they're in Round Valley right now (5:45 PM), so they're pretty much on schedule.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 pm

I see in the last SPOT update in Ellen's link that they are but a scant few meters from the lower tram station. Looks like those two hikin' fools pulled it off!

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sally » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:27 am

We made it! Hikin' too much to take many pictures, but here they are:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink

Trip report later. :D
Sally

Postby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 am

nice job!

Postby Ellen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Howdy All :)

I asked Sally to write the full TR since this was her first time 8)

Congratulations to Sister Sally and Tim G on their first Snow Creek PCT to tram hike :D

A brief rant:

Trying to park near the trailhead :? Numerous signs "NO PARKING!" So, I leave my car in what we thought was an acceptable place. When Sally dropped me off, a resident in a truck drove up and told me I would be towed and shouldn't have parked there. Then I find a note on my windshield saying that I'm on private property and if I ever park in Snow Creek Village again, my car will be towed. It was signed Snow Creek Homeowners Association with no contact information.

Where in the heck are we supposed to park to hike up the Snow Creek PCT? I don't mind walking 1.2 miles up a paved road to get to the actual PCT TH but hikers should have information to know where they can park legally.

Random thoughts:

I made better time on the bottom section in 2010 in the light. Hiking in the dark really slows me down. I tripped and banged my right knee and forehead early on.

The brushy overgrowth and trail erosion were as bad as two years ago. The next time I go, the starting temperature will be closer to 50 rather than 65 degrees. As soon as the sun hit the trail, I was roasting. To protect my legs, I need to wear tights. To wear tights, I need colder weather.

We all carried 5 liters and adequate fuel. This supplied ample fluid to get us to the first flowing stream on Fuller Ridge.

Once we hit the burn area, it didn't seem to take to long to reach the cooler alpine section. The section of the PCT from the first to second crossing of Black Mountain road seemed to take forever.

It was very cold and windy on the summit.

We put the headlamps back on near Wellman's divide. I think it took about two hours to get to the tram from the summit, though it felt much longer.

I was feeling completely humble when I drank my Arrogant Bastard beer at the tram bar. I thought I was in better shape than when I went in 2010 and still got my butt kicked :lol:

Thanks so much to my stalwart companions for their excellent company.

Last but not least -- Hal Summers is a hiking stud :twisted: -- I don't know how he did this in 12 hours in 2009.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby munmile » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Did you notice the color of the snow creek residents truck?
Was he pleasant and helpful?
Did he point out areas where trailhead parking is encouraged?
munmile

Postby drndr » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:34 am

I was just wondering once you're at the drinking fountain at the bottom, is the rest of the trail pretty obvious up to Black Mountain Rd? Is it crossed with many side trails where you have to guess which way to go?
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains