Mt. San Jacinto Outdoor Recreation Forum Index Mt. San Jacinto Outdoor Recreation
Hiking, Climbing, Camping, Trail Running, Skiing...

Riverside Mountain Rescue needs donations & volunteers.
(This forum is not officially affiliated with RMRU.)
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cactus to Clouds Hiking Guide

C2C = Humility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mt. San Jacinto Outdoor Recreation Forum Index -> Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: C2C = Humility Reply with quote

Howdy All Smile

Headed up Skyline again yesterday -- my fourth time in 8 days. Yes, I am in a rut, but all of my hiking buddies were on Skyline those four days. I carried enough fuel to go to the summit just in case. I haven't done C2C -- the full monty-- since the spring.

The dry conditions made the air feel cooler and also provided spectacular views of the Salton sea, Coachella valley, San Gorgonio and Baldy. My group started at 5 AM. Based on pace, I wound up with Perry A, Krai, Lindella, Brian and Ryan. I was struggling from the beginning, probably due to the cumulative elevation gain, though I thought two days of rest was sufficient time to recover.

In Long Valley, we met my friend Tim Gillam, who had also done Skyline and was planning to summit. We topped off on water and headed out. Thank goodness the trail to Round Valley was more forgiving than Skyline. The cardiovascular agony kicked back in as we headed up to Wellman's, though we were treated to exquisite views at the divide. Then we endured the loonng slog up to the Miller switchback.

We left the trail at the Miller switchback and headed up the winter route. Scrambled up the rocks to the summit and took in the amazing views. I discovered that this was the first C2C for my friend Tim. Of course we took the obligatory summit pictures. For the group shot, I laid on the rocks in the front of the sign (that's really how I felt at that point) but my friends insisted that I be upright for the photo.

We retraced our route back to forested area at 10 K, then went XC down to Tamarack valley. That's when I tripped and fell sideways into a bush. Arrgh Mad I was hoping to get through JUST ONE C2C without losing blood. Picked up the Sid Davis drainage and headed home. I was definately in beer mode but could only slow twitch up the ramp to the tram bar to celebrate our C2C.

Ran into our friend Ben C at the tram bar while we were relaxing. He had untouched home fries on his plate and I asked if I could have one. When he told us to eat all of them, EVERYONE dove in. It was hilarious -- a SNL landshark feeding frenzy Laughing Jym gave us a ride back to our cars. I had my first cheeseburger and fries at John's -- yummy Cool

I added up my elevation gain and discovered that I'd climbed 35 K in 8 days. A mere triffle for Speedy Steve and InFerno, but I don't have speedy alien DNA. The old blonde mare she ain't what she used to be Laughing Note to self -- do not attempt a C2C after doing Skyline three times in five days. Yesterday was a wonderful lesson in both humility and friendship. Fortunately, my friends let me set the pace and were wonderful company the entire time.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Backwoods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a lot of climbing 35k in eight day's !! Sound's like it's time for you to take a Zero day or 3. I do see how Skyline could be addictive now that I have done it. I think I'll be hitting it again this week myself. With the conecting trail 1/3 mile from were I live at the far end of Idyllwild towards hemet I can hit Erney Maxwell trail to devils slide and on to the tram and I only have 1/3 mile of RD walking the whole way how cool is that. My son pick's me up on his way home from work at the tram drop's me off the next morning at Skyline and I hike back. That's plenty for the week for me along with cycling and taking the dog for a walk up one of the trail's up here. Also get to see my boy. Well his birthday is next week he going to be 30 but he's still my baby boy. With all that going for Skyline it's a no brainer. I'm sure I'll be seeing ya up there one of these day's. How could I not???
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Ken Smile

Welcome to Skyline Addicts Not So Anonymous Cool

I am happily sitting on my butt for three days before I hit the trail again.

I thought about titling my post, "And I thought I was in shape" Laughing

I want to dayhike the Snow PCT to tram before we get snow. Also want to dayhike from Hwy 74 to the tram, but that one may need to wait until next year.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Cy Kaicener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: c2c Humility Reply with quote

Ellen - you never cease to amaze me. I was inspired to blog it

http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com/2012/10/c2c-humility-by-ellen.html
zippetydude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Ellen!

You nut.

z
Hikin_Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 35K in 8 days? You're slipping, Ellen. Laughing

I wish I could do 35K in 8 weeks, let alone 8 days. I did do Momyer straight up to the ridge the other day, and that was plenty for me.

HJ
gprunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not 35K walking distance. It is climbing 35,000 meters!
Hikin_Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it was feet in this case (not meters), but I'm sure Ellen will do 35K meters next. Poop on a stick is a pretty good motivator you know. Laughing

HJ
lesper4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Ellen, jsut amazing. So you didnt summit on the 27th? I thought you did and you were so fast we just didnt see the blur. Snow Creek sounds amazing maybe some day.

What is the name of the main shoot directly north of the peak..isnt that also snow creek but it is used for mountainering?
DancesWithTheMountains

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: My Hiking Sister, Ellen Reply with quote

Hi Ellen,
You are truly amazing. I remember when I use to do skyline 3 days
a week. What I wouldn't give to be able to be like that again, (I think, lol)
I really think that there comes a time in our physical lives when we can
push ourselves to the limit and beyond and its during these times that
we should embrace this because it won't last forever. I never felt better
than when I was going like a maniac up that trail. Of course I never
got to the speed of Steve and Fernando. I remember Andy Hollinger and Scott always catching up to me right around Timberline. I use to want to
just hit them in their heads for beating me up the trail. (lol). What fun days those were. Now I'm glad just to make it up in under 8 hrs!! You are MY
inspiration Ellen. Love ya
Doreen
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Doreen, my Mountain Sister Smile

YOU are my inspiration and will always be Skyline Queen Cool

From the heart,
Ellen
DancesWithTheMountains

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Ellen and Sat. Skyline Reply with quote

Hello Dear Mountain Sister,
Did I miss you on skyline this Saturday??? Didn't get started till
after 6:00 a.m. I ran into a man that was limping down the trail around
2200ft. I talked to him and he told me he had sprained his ankle around
3800ft. I don't know if he was with a group or not, but if he was, that
was a pretty rotten thing to let him come down that trail alone. O well, I guess they can't all be like us(lol). See ya soon dear friend
Doreen
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Dear Skyline Queen Smile

Yes, I did miss seeing you Crying or Very sad I headed out early with the San Jacinto Hiking Club Flash Mob Laughing I'd promised to get my subgroup to Grubbs Notch in under 6 hours. I was going to stop but they encouraged me to accompany them to the summit. I felt much better than I had the week before, otherwise I would not have gone.

We saw InFerno just as we got in line to go down. He looked great and as usual was in high spirits Cool

Love you too Very Happy
Ellen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mt. San Jacinto Outdoor Recreation Forum Index -> Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: