Cuckoos on Cucamonga

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Cuckoos on Cucamonga

Postby Ellen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 am

Howdy All :)

Perry A, Marilyn T and Hiroko let me tag along on their hike up Icehouse Canyon yesterday. At 58 years of age, I was actually the youngest in the group :shock: The plan was to decide the final destination at Icehouse Saddle. It was gusty at the saddle, so the initial plan was to go to Ontario peak. I'd never been to either Cucamonga or Ontario but asked if we could go to Cucamonga since it is supposed to be the prettier peak.

We traversed along over to Cucamonga saddle, where we saw a use trail going up to Bighorn peak. Hmm...maybe on the way back. Started grinding up the switchbacks, which occasionally placed us in the teeth of the wind. On the positive side, the gusts kept us from getting too warm on the climb. The four Cucs summited and I sent my first SPOT message from Cucamonga while we enjoyed brunch.

Marilyn was game to head over to Etiwanda but we were on somewhat of a schedule. Braved the gusts on the way down without losing Hiroko (the lightest) or our hats. At Cucamonga saddle, we headed up the use trail, trying to stay in the leeward side of the ridge. It was a very pretty and steep climb to Bighorn -- reminded me a bit of Register Ridge. After the climb, Bighorn was a bit dissapointing. We followed the use trail to where it intersects the Ontario peak trail above Kelly camp. Stopped at Kelly, swapped water and adjusted socks and boots before descending.

The breeze definately helped keep the gnats, mosquitos and flies at bay on the way down, though I still had a few gnats fly into my mouth and eyes. Ugh. Perry, Marilyn and Hiroko headed home and I enjoyed delicous Gung Pao chicken at the PF Changs in Rancho Cuc before heading home.

Thanks for a great day, everyone 8) Now I need to return and do the CEBO (Cucamonga, Etiwanda, Bighorn, Ontario) loop.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

Nice hike in some nice country. Cucamonga has perhaps the nicest views of any peak in the San Gabriels (although Pine and Telegraph come pretty close).

Add Sugarloaf to your CEBO loop (CEBOS) for some real fun. :shock: (Sugarloaf is kinda steep). Here's a map link. You're welcome. :twisted:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby HH8 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:Add Sugarloaf to your CEBO loop (CEBOS) for some real fun.

What is this "Etiwanda" of which you speak?
Perhaps "H" on your thing Jim?
HH8

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 pm

HH8 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Add Sugarloaf to your CEBO loop (CEBOS) for some real fun.

What is this "Etiwanda" of which you speak?
Perhaps "H" on your thing Jim?

Oh, I guess I should explain the points I've plotted. (But that's no excuse for your talking about my "thing" in public)

A = Trailhead
B = Turn off to Chapman Trail (approx.)
C = Wilderness Boundary
D = Icehouse Saddle
E = Bighorn - Cucamonga Saddle
F = Turn off to Cucamonga Peak (approx.) There's a sign post here, and there's a bit of a piece of a sign sitting on the ground.
G = Cucamonga Peak
H = Etiwanda Peak -- A local name not recognized by the USGS but on the HPS "100 Peaks" list (of which there are now more than 200).
I = the bench one passes en route up the ridge to Bighorn Peak
J = Bighorn Peak
K = Junction with trail coming up from Kelly Camp
L = Ontario Peak
M = Random point on ridge leading to Sugarloaf Saddle
N = Random point on ridge leading to Sugarloaf Saddle
O = Sugarloaf Saddle. Both legs of the trip (inbound and outbound) pass through the saddle
P = a false peak
Q = Sugarloaf Peak
R = Random point in Falling Rock Canyon more or less marking the route down from Sugarloaf Saddle.
S = Random point in Falling Rock Canyon more or less marking the route down from Sugarloaf Saddle.
T = Point at which one joins the trail in Icehouse Canyon (approx).

The peaks are typically done in the order I've stated them although I suppose the hard core might want to do it the other way.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby arocknoid » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Great TR, Ellen! Sorry to hear the gnats are still eyeballin' unabated. (continue my boycott of IHC.) You folks had a fine itinerary.
Below and near the saddle between Bighorn and Ontario are some prime spots to encounter bighorn. if one is vewy vewy qwuiet...

I've had a few recent forays to Cucamonga (and CEBO variations). As much as we rave about the views of the city stretched out below this awesome escarpment, it has much to offer for views of other fave mountains.

Etiwanda is a quick side jaunt, and gets fewer visitors than Bighorn (or Ontario).

Baldy and friends from Cuca Peak:

Jeepers, who's on *that* saintly peak:

Beneath a blanket of cottony clouds, the megalopolis bustles toward evening:

Lakes reflecting sunset:

Doe on recent Cuca rhumba, near the chute with the lingering snow sliver:

After a Cuca quick-step or two, she settles down to soak up a few last rays of the day:

(no tagging this time HJ, but there's an annoying historical reason for such ;-)

Hope to see you out there,
kind regards,
arocknoid
arocknoid

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 am

(More) nice pics!

Has someone been using your pics w/o permission? I'm always worried about that on my blog. Someone was using some of my pics to sell a stove on eBay claiming that the pic on eBay was his stove when it fact it was a pic from my blog. :evil:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

For the Birds

Postby halhiker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 am

I initially thought this post was about birds. I've seen parrots in Orange County http://goo.gl/D2Et6 and I thought, "cool, cuckoo birds in Cucamonga."

I've really should know better.
halhiker

Re: For the Birds

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm

halhiker wrote:I initially thought this post was about birds. I've seen parrots in Orange County http://goo.gl/D2Et6 and I thought, "cool, cuckoo birds in Cucamonga."

I've really should know better.
Well, try that hike on a hot day, and you'll definitely know that it's... wait for it... for the birds. :roll:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Re: For the Birds

Postby Ellen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote: Well, try that hike on a hot day, and you'll definitely know that it's... wait for it... for the birds. :roll: HJ

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Waiting for the start of the bird pun thread...

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Sally » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi Ellen,
It sounds like you had a steller jay on Cucamonga. I'm glad that there weren't too many bugs to make you finch. Also, unlike the top of San G, you probably didn't have to worry about ground squirrels robin your pistachios.
Sally

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics