A Midweek Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

A Midweek Skyline

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Both Ellen and I were starving for a hike (it's been two weeks for me and a WHOLE week for Ellen since our last) and we figured Skyline was the best bet. We were able to park one car in the tram parking lot and the other at the museum. We were on the trail at 6:00. The air temp was cool.

One of the first things we noticed was bike tire tracks on the trail. At about 2,000' we met a guy coming down with his bike. He told us he had hurt his ankle, but his friends were continuing on with plans to make it to Grubbs Notch. Crazy!

We kept wondering when we were going to encounter the bikers. I was hoping to not have a head-on collision with them, so I was listening for them. At one point I heard a clammering on the rocks above us and just as I was about to alert Ellen to the bikers I looked up and saw that, instead, it was four deer making the racket. They put on quite a show leaping and bounding amongst the rocks.

After a nice fuel break at Flat Rock we got down to the business of going UP. The bike tracks were still visible in the dirt. We donned our microspikes at the "Thank You Jesus Rocks." Immediately after, we came upon the two bikers. They had done the traverse, but decided to call it quits at the final steep pitch to the top. Thank heavens they were wearing full-on protective gear.

The traverse was mostly covered with snow, and it was pretty icy. The microspikes were essential. There is a nice boot track all the way to the Notch. I topped out in exactly 6 hours and 1 minute from the start. All in all I felt like it was more of a vigorous stroll than the usual "rubber legs" feeling that I get at certain points on the hike.

We climbed the rocks to the tram station and slammed down some beverages. Of course, we had lunch at Las Consuelas. It was great weather, a great hike, great trail conditions, and especially, great company.
Sally

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Howdy Sally :)

Always a great day with you, my friend. There's always something new on Skyline -- deer, mountain bikers, demonic cougars :wink:

Hopefully we'll get some good snow so we can go tram shoeing soon 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

A midweek Skyline

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 am

Great trip report Sally. I was wondering when someone was going was going to try and mountain bike up Skyline. Thats crazy :shock: Its amazing that they did the traverse with snow and ice.
Here is a video that should get some attention :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhrtPyr1KQI -- (A commercial comes first)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby neverwashasbeen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Cy, there is a group from Orange County that hikes their bikes up to flat rock and then rides down as an annual event. I met them a couple of years ago on my way up.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby tinaballina » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Awesome trip report Sally, nice work pain sister.
tinaballina

Postby bluerail » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Yea...we were on there lastnight ...finished before 9....the lights we saw around 5600' have had me so puzzled all day, I saw the bike tracks but they looked like they had been there at least a day.....weird ass lights
bluerail

Postby PatrickSupra » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 pm

^^^ UFO? ;)
PatrickSupra

Postby Team DWA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Too strange
Team DWA

Postby Lermo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:49 pm

I saw this MB TR out there and thought I'd post it.

http://www.dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/view ... 60&start=0
Lermo

A midweek Skyline

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 am

Lermo wrote:I saw this MB TR out there and thought I'd post it.

http://www.dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/view ... 60&start=0

Thanks for posting - I would not have believed it. The next challenge is to continue up to the tram :) Of course that would involve carrying the bike part of the way.
Going down must also be difficult. You need really good brakes.
Are there special tires for snow travel ?
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains