Removed

General Palm Springs area.

Removed

Postby MACgyver » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 am

Post removed by author...
Last edited by MACgyver on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MACgyver

Re: SOS: How To Survive... "Lost in the Mountains"

Postby Ed » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks for the reference, MACgyver. I am not fond of TV coverage of survival stories, but I will watch this one because of the local interest, detail and your recommendation.

I hope they don't recommend signal fires. I am an absolutist on signal fires. The October 2003 Cedar Fire was started by a signal fire. It burned 280,000 destroyed 2,800 buildings (including our home), and killed about 15 people. There was a TV documentary recently on the Cedar Fire, featuring the experiences of four families. They were fortunate, and that is taking into account one daughter lost and another very badly burned. And they were in widely different locations. Anybody who ever thinks about starting a signal fire should watch it. Your own survival is not everything.
Ed

Re: SOS: How To Survive... "Lost in the Mountains"

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you Ed for that sobering reminder. Agree with you 100 percent. Signal fires are idiotic in so many ways. They seldom achieve their intended purpose, and they fairly often end up growing into huge fires.

MACgyver, thank you for the show recommendation--I wonder if this is an episode from the old show 'I Shouldn't Be Alive"? I had heard that show featured an episode similar to what you describe. I never got a chance to watch it so will check out this one instead.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains