Marion Mountain Trail Permit Question

General Palm Springs area.

Marion Mountain Trail Permit Question

Postby psykokid » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm going to head up early on Sunday morning to hike up to San Jacinto via Marion Mountain and was wondering if there is a still a self issue permit station at the Stone Creek Campground? I'm coming from Pasadena so if I don't have to make the drive all the way into Idyllwild to grab the permit from the ranger station and then backtrack to the trail head that would be ideal. I read a few reports mentioning the self issue station at Stone Creek, but all of those reports were a couple of years old at best so I figured I'd check in to see if I can save a little time and get on the trail quicker. Thanks in advance!

Jake
psykokid

Re: Marion Mountain Trail Permit Question

Postby Florian » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:05 am

As far as i know there is not a self-issue station at the campground. But you're only 5 miles from Idyllwild so not too much farther of a drive.
Florian

Postby HalfTamed » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:13 pm

@psykokid : Wondering what you discovered - Is there a self permit station somewhere?

For me, the 5 mile ride to Idyllwild is not the issue, but I like to start real early - around 6 if possible - and the Idyllwild station opens only at 8
HalfTamed

Postby Florian » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:35 am

I confirmed from another source there is NO self-issue permit station at Marion Mtn trail. However both the state park and forest service stations in Idyllwild have self-issue stations so you don't have to wait until they open. The exception is Devil's Slide trail on a weekend as there is a quota and you must get your permit in person inside the station when they open.
Florian

Postby zippetydude » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Florian. The kiosk is not at the Marion trail head. Every time I've done Marion I've first gone to the Stone Creek kiosk at the campground and gotten a permit. It's very close to the Marion trail head and it is self-issue at any hour of the day. Unless they abruptly removed it after years of it being there, it is most likely still there. And it is especially convenient for the reason mentioned earlier - you can pick one up at first light and head up the mountain in ideal conditions. If I am out that way in the next few weeks I'll check. I hope everyone here will do the same. Florian, can you check with your source(s) and see if they removed the permit station at Stone Creek?

z
zippetydude

Postby Fred » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm

It was there back in June this year.
Fred

Postby zippetydude » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks Fred for the good news. I was hoping it was still there.

z
zippetydude

Postby Florian » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:21 am

Zip and Fred, thanks for the update. I'll pass on the info.

-Florian
Florian

Postby HalfTamed » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I asked the at the Idyllwild station and they confirmed that there is indeed a self permit station at stone creek camp ground. It is open till 7.30 AM. If you get there later than 7.30 then you will have to go to the Idyllwild ranger station (which opens at 8.00)
HalfTamed

Postby GoPlayer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Ha, I didn't know about this permit station. Good to know. So yesterday I looked for it and it was indeed there :D, just to the right after passing through the gate.
I noticed that the forms different than those one fills out at the Ranger station.
GoPlayer

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains