Sunday Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Sunday Skyline

Postby Ellen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am

Howdy All :)

A group of us (Craigmeister, Diana, Speedy Steve, Patti, Anya, Cameron, Steve Larson, and Carmen) joined our pain sista Tina Fiori for Skyline on Sunday.

Even Doug made an appearance as we were snacking at Flatrock. Steve noted that on Saturday, there was no place to sit that was free of snow. We teased Tina about opening a deli at Flatrock -- she shared numerous yummy treats she'd hauled up the trail.

I was attired in my usual shorts and t-shirt, but added microspikes, light gloves and Caprilene shirt shortly after leaving Flatrock We climbed into the clouds and mist and I switched to a Smartwool shirt and down gloves at about 7 K. At the start of the traverse, I added my down jacket and fleece hat.

Steve and Diana had broken in the trail on Saturday, which was a blessing to my knackered body. Even so, the traverse to Coffman's and climb to Grubbs Notch seemed to take forever. This was the most snow I've seen on the traverse since early 2011. We whooped and hollered at Grubbs, then scrambled up the rocks to the tram where the celebration was in full swing. A wonderful day with old and new friends.

I completely hit the wall at 5 PM and started whinning about wanting to go home. Apologies to my friends for being a party pooper. Note to self -- do not hike the day before Skyline. Grabbed a wonderful to-go cheeseburger at John's before heading home.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby tinaballina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 am

It was a great day on the mountain, a lot more snow than i thought there would be too. i am sure most of it will melt off for this coming weekend. It was great seeing everyone.
tinaballina

Postby neverwashasbeen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 pm

It was certainly inspirational to see all the greyhounds and thoroughbreds disappear up the trail ahead of me. If they hadn't started late, they would have done a double and passed this mule twice. That said, it was a beautiful day on the mountain. Steady snow coverage started at flat rock and continued the rest of the way. From Flat rock to Thank Jesus rock the snow was excellent kick stepping, from then to Grubs notch it was dry and unconsolidated, not that nice, would have been perfect snowshoe conditions but only about a foot deep. With very much melting and freezing it will be very icy and require crampons and ice axes. I was the only one without microspikes and it seems that they didn't help much.

Final advice, probably best to stay at home if you have food poisoning.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby Ellen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Howdy Cameron :)

It was an honor to hike with you 8)

Food poisoning? Holy Cow -- Skyline is a butt kicker when I'm very fit and healthy.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains