learning from other people's mistakes on Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Postby bcrowell » Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am

pdforeme wrote:Having failed on a hot day.....my 2 bits.... i had tons of water, but in our descent (we obviously survived), I needed a bit of shade far more than water. I know its unrealistic, but i would put huge value of any form of shade. (on our descent into >100F we got into a logical hiccup in that it was hotter as we descended, but would be far worse had we stayed put (at 3000 feet). I guess I should have packed an opaque tarp.

Did rescue 1 exist at that time? Seems like the space blanket inside would work as a way of providing shade, if you could rig it up as a tarp. Lying under the picnic tables would also provide shade, although I imagine once someone had gotten that low, there would be a strong psychological urge to finishing hiking out.

For someone who's really in trouble on the trail, I imagine a good plan would be to retreat to shade and water at rescue 1, rescue 2, or the picnic tables, and call 911 on a cell phone..?
bcrowell

Postby bcrowell » Tue May 22, 2012 8:12 am

cynthia23 wrote:the same summer the 28 year old guy and the college professor died coming down Skyline, another guy who was wandering around up there (he seems to have been mentally ill) also died of heatstroke. His body and the body of the college professor were found almost on the same day.

I think I may have misconstrued the news reports. I was interpreting them as saying that Carroll was Liebler's hiking partner, and they both died. Looking back over the stories, they actually don't link Carroll and Liebler. I think Carroll is probably the mentally ill man you're describing. I've edited the OP to separate the two entries for the two men.
bcrowell

Postby Actively Curious » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:29 pm

[quote="bcrowell"]While we're all brainstorming about possible constructive things to do, here are a few possibilities:

Donate money to Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit: http://www.rmru.org/donate.htm

[/quote]

Donating $$ to the rescue unit isn't a bad idea.
But its treating the disease rather than preventing the disease.

Better to post the warning signs of severe danger in summer hiking, etc., and to get whatever authority is responsible for that property to do the work. If they own it, if they regulate it, they can dam well provide the minimal amount of effort to alert the unaware.

Any response by the authority that they "don't have the funding" is always BS. Just look at their equipment and their nice new vehicles.

The State of Hawaii just agreed to pay $15 MILLION in damages to the estates of two dead hikers because the state knew that a particular area was dangerous due to another death that had happened there just 6 months prior to the newest two hiker deaths and did NOTHING to alleviate the risk. See the link:

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/state-to- ... lement/123
Actively Curious

Postby neverwashasbeen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Sounds like a good idea, of course on my hike on the lower section of Skyline today, I noticed that the warning signs that have been placed by the government agencies in the past, have all been stolen. :(
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby Screerider » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm

The government is not responsible for my actions.

Went up to about 3500' yesterday. Used more water going down than going up. The reverse of the norm. About 3 liters total with none to spare. (I usually drink a little more than most. ) Any higher and I may have gotten in trouble. Any later in the year and I may have gotten in trouble. I can see why Hikin Jim calls it a committed hike.
Next time up I will bring more water. With plenty of water one could find shade and stay put, coming down in the cooler hours.
Screerider

Postby Actively Curious » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 pm

[quote="neverwashasbeen"] I noticed that the warning signs that have been placed by the government agencies in the past, have all been stolen. :([/quote]

Not sure why someone would steal signage but that kind of prank can kill someone.

The signage in some places like Yosemite is steel embedded into concrete with the lettering welded out so tampering would be pretty tough. Maybe thats whats necessary.
Actively Curious

Postby Actively Curious » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

[quote="Screerider"] The government is not responsible for my actions.

[/quote]

I agree that the government is not responsible for your actions.

What I meant was that warning signage sometimes helps alert the unaware to dangers.

But then again, there are always those who even ignore warning signage, get into trouble, and then attempt to litigate despite being at fault.

And, the unaware who do get into trouble then cost us all tax money with the rescue costs.

I hiked up to 4,600 two years ago and used a full gallon... still ran out on the way down.
Actively Curious

Hi - Your older post - Skyline Pamphlet box

Postby bytebit » Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Florian.

I've been hiking the lower sections of Skyline (usually to the '4300' marker) for about a year. Someday, I'll finally hike past your 'bucket.'

The warning sign you said in an earlier post, that disappeared in 2012--what did it say?

Actually, I'm in training to hike all the way to the Tram during ideal weather conditions--in either Oct. or Nov. (maybe Dec.). It is so sad to read about those who required rescue / medical attention or have died--due from lack of preparation to hike this unfortunately, infamous trail. It is NOT a dangerous trail if one prepares for it, accordingly along with all of the precautionary measures.

Seriously: I am all for the idea of a pamphlet / leaflet / brochure (which was initially posted on this forum in 2012--but never materialized). I would like to be involved in the producing the covered holder / box for the pamphlets (which would probably require the city's and/or Agua Caliente Indian's permission on both N. Lykken & Museum Trailheads.) I also know of good writers who would be glad to help with the wording of the pamphlets. I would then post the pamphlet on this forum for further review from other experienced Skyline hikers.

I await your reply. Good day, David :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bcrowell wrote:While we're all brainstorming about possible constructive things to do, here are a few possibilities:

Donate money to Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit: http://www.rmru.org/donate.htm

When you head up Skyline, bring an extra half-liter of water with you and leave it at the picnic tables, rescue 1, or rescue 2. Most people who die on Skyline actually seem to die at very low elevations, such as the picnic tables or even lower. If leaving water at the picnic tables, we need some way to make sure that people know it's there, and that it's there for emergency use by anyone who needs it. Unless something more organized happens, I'm planning that the next time I do Skyline (in the fall), I'll bring along some kind of makeshift sign sealed inside a freezer bag, and duct-tape it to the end of one of the picnic tables.

Seems like it would be a good thing to either replace the stolen "you will die sign" or put up something similar at the trailhead. Who has to be involved to make this happen? A private property owner? State park rangers? If there was agreement in principle on doing it, I'm sure we could pass the hat and collect enough money to make it happen. (I'm sure the rangers are low on both money and time due to the state budget dysfunction.) If it prevents even one helicopter rescue, it will have paid for itself many times over.
Life is too short - make the most of your day!
bytebit

Re: Hi - Your older post - Skyline Pamphlet box

Postby Florian » Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 am

bytebit wrote:The warning sign you said in an earlier post, that disappeared in 2012--what did it say?

I might have a photo of the warning sign someplace. Or maybe someone else here on the forums does and can post.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Florian » Mon May 27, 2013 11:22 am

I do have a photo of the warning sign...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fboyd/4613761778/

-Florian
Florian

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains