Hiker swept away by flash flood near Forest Falls

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Hiker swept away by flash flood near Forest Falls

Postby halhiker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:36 am

A hiker was killed in a Flash flood near Forest Falls on September 9. He was crossing the creek with his girlfriend and he was swept away. It was reported that the Yucaipa Ridge got over an inch and a half of rain in less than 30 minutes and part of this cloudburst contributed to the flooding of Mill Creek. So sorry of the loved one of this man and please be careful, everyone, with this crazy weather out there. A lot of lightning strikes in the San Jacintos today and SW of Idyllwild got over two inches of rain.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/ ... est-falls/
halhiker

Re: Hiker swept away by flash flood near Forest Falls

Postby Florian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:41 am

Hal, Jon King and i were staffing Tahquitz Peak yesterday. We recorded 31 lightning strikes by 5pm! Most around southern Desert Divide, Thomas Mtn and Cahuilla Mtn. On strike directly to the trailer park at Lake Hemet. Also some strikes in the SJ high country with a couple pretty close to the tower but no direct hits. Was a busy afternoon.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:47 am

Florian- Were you standing on the insulating platforms a lot? What a day that must have been.

Floods and lightning. Good old fashioned terror.

It is sad about the hiker who died and his girlfriend who saw it.
Last edited by Wildhorse on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildhorse

Postby Ellen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

:cry:
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:57 am

Fascinating to me since there has been not a drop of rain down this way (Orange County).

Of important note:
The water [was]... waist-deep, and they tried to cross it, which is extremely inadvisable. And again, she was able to self-extricate, and he was not able to,” said Capt. Brett Raney of the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

If there's fast flowing water and it is or has been raining, and it's more than mid-shin deep, think very carefully about it. Better to be a couple hours late getting back to the car than ... a funeral. Always carry a headlamp, rain gear, extra food and water, and some warm clothing -- yes, even in summer.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby tekewin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:11 pm

A very sad outcome. Flash floods are probably an underrated danger.
tekewin

Postby zippetydude » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:31 pm

That's such sad news. I have done Vivian many times during the summer and always wondered if I would come back down to a flash flood and have to wait it out. We're always talking about signs - maybe it would be good to have a sign posted at Vivian and Momyer to warn people who have never seen how dangerous trying to cross a flash flood can be. That's one of the most dangerous flash flood locations I know of in SoCal. My heart goes out to those affected by this loss.

z
zippetydude

Postby Sally » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:14 am

Very sad news :cry: . I believe there is a sign warning of the danger on the south bank of the crossing. A sign would also be useful on the north bank because one is more likely to encounter a flash flood in the afternoon as one is returning from their hike. One problem is that it takes a few minutes to cross the creek bed, and although it may look safe when you start across, a huge wall of water can just come crashing through without warning and so fast that you won't stand a chance.
Sally

Postby Ed » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 am

Sally wrote:I believe there is a sign warning of the danger on the south bank of the crossing.

I thought I remembered a sign. Having never seen a flash flood, I don't know how quickly they come, or how long you have to wait for them to pass. I don't need warning signs myself, having had a dislocated shoulder for eleven days after a stream crossing accident, I am the meekest stream crosser you ever saw. Perhaps with the dryness of the last four years some people don't know what Mill Creek can be like. I've never been fond of crossing it in the spring after a winter of heavy rain and snow.
Last edited by Ed on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Postby Florian » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:32 am

Here is a video of the Mill Creek flash flood. You might need a facebook account for the link to work ..

https://www.facebook.com/10000416320590 ... nref=story

-Florian
Florian

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics