SGW Glacial Chop Country

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby » Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 am

very cool post Jim. have you ever formally studied geology?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed May 05, 2010 9:45 am

Hey, Zé,

No, nothing formal. I've read a bit about glaciation just out of peronal interest generated by trips to the Sierra, but that's about it.

Really, I don't know schist about geology.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Andy » Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:Really, I don't know schist about geology.

Gneiss! :lol:
Andy

Postby bluerail » Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 am

really an enjoyable post Jim...thanks for the journey. (and the pics of the little one)
bluerail

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 10, 2010 6:59 am

Andy wrote:
Hey, buddy, do you know who you're messing with here? :lol:
Last edited by Hikin_Jim on Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 10, 2010 7:13 am

Andy wrote:
Thanks, Andy. I really am a nice guy. Why, I'd give the chert off my back to help a fellow hiker. Maybe this'll sound a little wacke, but watch out for those pumice when you're out hiking; just ask Ellen about the demonic ones.

Don't take hydration for granite -- always take several quartz of water with you -- marble at the beauty, yes, but do it safely.

On the home front, beware of telemarketers; they'll gypsum body every time. Gosh garnet I hate it when that happens.

Well, it's been really coal talking to you, but I've really got a lot on my slate (I work at a big conglomerate).

I shale see you later,

HJ
Last edited by Hikin_Jim on Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 am

bluerail wrote:really an enjoyable post Jim...thanks for the journey. (and the pics of the little one)
Thanks, Steve,

Would that I had the time, energy, and talent for SC with you guys, but I had a lot of fun tracking through the back country of the SGW. And I'm with you -- don't need no stinkin' GPS. Well, maybe I'll break down some day especially if I want to hit old ruins or something, but the nav challenge is half the fun and one of the reasons I wanted to see the SGW "chop country" for myself.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Andy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Andy wrote:
Thanks, Andy. I really am a nice guy. Why, I'd give the chert off my back to help a fellow hiker. Maybe this'll sound a little wacke, but watch out for those pumice when you're out hiking; just ask Ellen about the demonic ones.

Don't take hydration for granite -- always take several quartz of water with you -- marble at the beauty, yes, but do it safely.

On the home front, beware of telemarketers; they'll gypsum body every time. Gosh garnet I hate it when that happens.

Well, it's been really coal talking to you, but I've really got a lot on my slate (I work at a big conglomerate).

I shale see you later,

HJ

Touche' ! :lol:

Jim, I bet you've waiting for the right moment to spring those on us...I'm just glad I was able to push you along. Really though, great post and the pictures of the little one brings a smile to my face. My wife and I are expecting our first this fall and I can't wait to get he or she out on the trail with me! With your head start I'll be looking for some tips. :wink:
Andy

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Andy wrote: ...the pictures of the little one brings a smile to my face. My wife and I are expecting our first this fall and I can't wait to get he or she out on the trail with me! With your head start I'll be looking for some tips. :wink:
Hey, Andy, great news. I have to say that my little girl is a real joy. I haven't been hiking with her yet (unless you count Descanso Gardens, lol), but I'm looking forward to doing so soon. I sure hope she takes to the outdoors. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Andy wrote:Jim, I bet you've waiting for the right moment to spring those on us...I'm just glad I was able to push you along.
Actually, I'm at a loess to explain why you think I save these up. Of karst I make them up on the spot. None of this stuff is clast in concrete you know. All this is just accretion of my mind. I've got a pretty scarp wit if I do say so myself.

Well, I'm certainly glad we could keep this discussion pelite and that we didn't make a mountain out of a moho. I'll talc to you later.

Rock on!

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby bluerail » Tue May 11, 2010 12:39 pm

seriously, who are the wacky people here?
bluerail

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics