Hiking Fools Get Together

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Hiking Fools Get Together

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:04 am

Well, cr@p.

I've been waiting about 4 weeks for some data at work. They finally, after repeatedly broken promises, got it to me... yesterday. Which basically means I'm working this weekend, probably both days. :cry: Somehow my boss doesn't see their being four weeks late with the data as allowing me not to turn things around in the three days we committed to. My boss is not generally known as the "easy" boss.

Maybe a miracle will happen, and I'll finish early*, but it's not looking good for me to come today. :( I was really hoping they'd be delayed until Monday. I even had a new stove picked out for today.

I hope it's a good time. Please post photos for those unfortunates stuck indoors at a keyboard today. I am thankful to have had an actual job for two years in a row now, but their timing sucks.

HJ

*It's three primary files of 15 to 20 million records each that have to be merged with key files and then matched back to a database table unload, the purpose being to validate that the data corresponds to the database unload, showing accurate values where those values are "displayable" and those values that are "non-displayable" are blanked out. It's neither quick nor simple. :(
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:46 am

Uh oh. Are there grills at the park so we can improvise with charcoal? I don't know any way to make immediate contact with everyone since we don't have a group text going on...lesson learned, maybe a good idea next time. For now I'm still trying to find the park...I just finished the Tram Road Challenge, so I'll have a little time to kill. May take the tram up and do some exploring before the get together...

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 am

Yeah, I know. Good going, HJ. :( Trust me; I'd rather be headed out there than stuck here.

Sally has some backpacking stoves. If you don't have Sally's number but you have Ellen's number, then she would have Sally's.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am

No worries HJ! I've had other similar situations where I was suddenly stuck just like you - the worst part for guys like us is that we feel like we're letting others down. Not to worry, no such thing is happening here. We all would have enjoyed seeing you and Joyce, but as they say, "Come what may, work before play." I'll let everyone know what's going on and I'm sure we can adapt to cooking needs. 8)

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:30 pm

You've got a family to support HJ, so no need to apologize for working hard to do that. We'll miss you but do fine--there's always pizza! See you next time!
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby jfr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 am

It was a long drive up from San Diego, but it was worth it! Vicki and I had a great time, and ate some great food. My personal favorite was Ellen's awesome cookies (I ate far too many). Vicki and I were sad that Hikin' Jim couldn't make it, as we brought plenty of raw eggs, cheese, bell peppers, etc. for omelettes. We neglected to check the forum one last time before leaving, or we would have brought a frying pan. As it turned out, we had a Jetboil MiniMo Stove (that I wanted Jim to check out) and Vicki tried her best to cook omelettes down in the bottom of that thing without burning them. Jim would be the first to tell you that jetboils don't simmer worth a darn.

Anyway, Vicki and I had a lot of fun. Thanks, Ellen, for making this happen!

Hikin' Fools storing energy for another hike

I took a few photos with my cell phone so the results aren't spectacular but you can see the rest of the photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/v8flickr/ ... 962324286/

Our last get together was four years ago, back in October 2013 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4307
I'd like to think that the only one who looks older is Lily! :)
My (collected) trip reports: http://hikingtales.com/
jfr

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 am

I understand, HJ. When I was an engineer, I forced a programmer to spend a weekend with me completing a project. When he had a family weekend at Big Bear planned, cabin reserved. He quit a few months later, citing me as the reason at the good-bye event. I think he had a better job offer, but his dig was not entirely humorous.
Ed

Postby Perry » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm

That is funny. Seemed like everybody had a good time yesterday. Zip's story was quite funny and shocking.
If you need help signing up as a new member, please send an email to Contact @ Mt San Jacinto . info (without the spaces)
Perry
Site Admin

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 pm

It was a wonderful event! Thank you Ellen for getting the ball rolling again!

And what great photos! Thanks for posting those. I still can't figure out what I was trying to communicate to Zip via those hand signals, though. :?

It was a lovely day. :D :D
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi all. I had a great time too, so I echo the thanks to Ellen. Cynthia, you were showing me Bruce Lee's Dragon of Death move if I recall correctly. :D

I enjoyed the yummy eggs and the tasty chili, but I somehow didn't get any wings, so next time I'll be more alert on that matter. Ellen, I ate my last cookie on the way to work this morning. We should set another one up, perhaps in the spring when the weather is nice. Good times with good friends!

z
zippetydude

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains