Bears at the tram

General Palm Springs area.

Bears at the tram

Postby recordalley » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Rangers verified a bear sighting in Long Valley & by Wellman's. They saw pictures of at least one bear, maybe two. Maybe the one they picked up at the I10 auto mall a while back...they dropped it off on the Hemet side, still trying to figure out why they didn't take it back to San Bernardino Mountains.
Image19821106_10213322354277168_702548921_o by jim stephens, on Flickr
Get out of that damn contraption & walk!
--Edward Abbey
recordalley

Re: Bears at the tram

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm with you. There's a breeding population over there and the San Jacinto range has not recently supported such numbers. Why leave the bear stranded and alone?

z
zippetydude

Postby Ulysses » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:52 pm

I haven't heard about any sightings of the one that was in Idyllwild for a few weeks. Wonder if he didn't decide to wander back northward in search of a little "company".
Ulysses

Postby guest » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:32 am

You have to wonder if it's the same bear. As you know, they make it down to Beaumont, (& even close to where you are occasionally Zip?), Whitewater etc.
If the secret place had fish in it right now, they'd be very happy there & Carumba, I'd think, (minus no breeding partners).
This year the forest has lots of growth & food, and water for now. I'd recommend bringing blueberries to get great selfies with them!!

ss

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes, Scott, we have bears fairly often. I even have a picture of a fairly young bear up in the pine tree in our front yard. They just come and go, though, except for one bear that frequented a neighbor's pool for a couple weeks one summer. With regard to this bear, seeing as how bears are both smart and fairly lazy creatures, I think most look at the trek across the desert stretches to San Jacinto and decide it's not worth it in advance. There's always the rare bird now and then that will push the boundaries. Given that, I think it must be the same bear. Thanks for that great selfie advice! :wink:

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains