Snowy Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Snowy Skyline

Postby Ellen » Mon May 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Howdy All :)

Started about 5:15 am yesterday, didn't need headlamps. It started to hail on us at Florian's point -- Engine Joe cried out "Oh Hail No!". Added a rain jacket (I was in shorts and t-shirt) and asked for help with locating my pit zips. Joan noted that our break was indeed "A Pit Stop." :roll: I dubbed us "Team Bad Pun."

After Flat Rock, it started snowing. Cameron (at Florian's point) and Joan (Grubbs Notch) took videos which are posted on my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/10000052854168 ... 647407371/

https://www.facebook.com/cameron.robbin ... 753568142/

Engine Joe hiked up to Grubbs in shorts and t-shirt -- he gets the polar bear award.

Really wonderful to have the juxtaposition of desert/alpine -- a true Cactus to Clouds.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Snowy Skyline

Postby HvyMtl » Mon May 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Sounds like a beautiful hike. On Friday 5/12 a group of four of us are going to hike Skyline to the Mountain Tram Station. Plan to leave at 4:00 am. We hiked about 2500' up the trail a couple of months ago to get our trail bearings, but this will be our first time to go to the tram. We've been training for months and are fit. We planned for everything, but yesterday's snow! We have micro spikes, poles and line if necessary. Friday's forecasted high calls for 56 deg at the tram station. Will the snow on Skyline be melted by Friday?

We've read all the great websites like Hikin' Jim, HikingGuy and IronHiker, plus almost everything else we could find online....thank you all for the helpful info. With snow falling well into last night, we're concerned about; snow depth, ice on the traverse and the need for cold weather gear. Can any of you veteran C2C snow hikers offer up some wisdom for us rookies.
HvyMtl

Postby zippetydude » Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

it wouldn't let me see the first video, but the second video was hilarious!!! The visual is of snow, the audio is of drinking oil (?) and projectile vomiting :shock: Conversations on the trail...
zippetydude

Postby neverwashasbeen » Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm

We did Skyline again today, the snow has all melted, no need for any traction devices.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby Sally » Tue May 09, 2017 9:29 pm

I am very envious that I missed the snowy Skyline!
Zip, sorry that you were unable to catch the first video. It has great audio as well! Ellen's hands are going to the bad place, Marilyn is looking forward to warming up with the hand dryers in the tram station lady's room, and Joe is putting on a jacket!
Sally

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains