C2C2C on April 30

General Palm Springs area.

C2C2C on April 30

Postby Viper » Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 am

My 15-year-old son and I set out to do C2C2C yesterday, having already done C2C twice in the past couple of years. We started from Ramon Rd. at 5 a.m., a little later than I would have liked but we were driving up from San Diego. There were no other cars parked there and we saw only 4 other parties on Skyline, which was surprising given the perfect weather. As others have noted, there is no snow on Skyline. We made it to Grubbs Notch in 6 hours and spent about 30 minutes at the ranger station, resting and filling water. At this point, despite prior successful C2C efforts and recent training, I was feeling pretty beat and was not sure I could continue to the summit. I decided to press on and play it by ear. Once at Wellman’s Divide, I knew I was done. I decided to rest there and allow my son to continue to the summit without me. He was full of energy and made it there and back in 2 hours. Resting at Wellman’s Divide with perfect weather, amazing views, and the company of fellow hikers, was a fantastic way to spend two hours. Trail conditions, by the way, consisted of slushy snow from Round Valley to Wellman’s Divide, and the same to the summit. We did not use our microspikes but were thankful for our trekking poles. Also, there was ample water flowing from the pipe at Round Valley.

We returned to the ranger station for one more fill up and then walked towards to the tram station. We decided there was no way we were going to walk up that concrete ramp from hell, so we opted to hike down Skyline instead. The hike down from Grubb’s Notch was a lot of fun for the first 3,000 feet— clear, cool weather, not a soul on the trail, and rapid progress. The next 5,000 went from “wow, this is taking a long time” to absolute tedium in the last few miles, with its relentless knee-pounding and a valley floor that never seemed to get any closer. We finally made it to the car, one long day indeed.

So my son successfully completed C2C2C, while I only did C2W2C(?). If anyone is aware of anyone younger than 15 years old completing C2C2C, I would be interested in hearing about it.
Viper

Re: C2C2C on April 30

Postby Sally » Mon May 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Wow, Viper, what a great trip report! Congrats to you and your son! There have been more than a few times when I have felt like "sitting it out" while my hiking partners went up. "Playing it by ear" is a good philosophy. Sometimes trudging on is at best miserable, and at worst leads to injury. I think I would take walking up the ramp over hiking all the way down Skyline! You guys are studs! Nuts, but studs!

As an aside, and a little off topic, Ellen and I did a 3 day, 2 night trip up into the wilderness from the Tram this winter. We bagged a few peaks and camped in the snow. As we were trudging back up the ramp and almost at the top, heavily laden with 3 days worth of winter gear, a guy asked, "Did you go all the way?" I asked "all the way where?" and he said "all the way to the bottom of the ramp." As Ellen and I were having a beer at the tram bar we couldn't stop laughing. Then Ellen gave one of her best one-liners ever: "Beware going to the bottom of the ramp, thar be monsters down thar!"
Sally

Postby Sally » Mon May 01, 2017 8:29 pm

And no, I am unaware of anyone under 15 doing a full C2C2C. What a great kid!
Sally

Postby DHeuschele » Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 pm

When I saw the trip report I did not know who Viper was. I forwarded the trip report to my son (14 years old) who forwarded it to Viper's son indicating they had to do it unaware that the boy he was forwarding it to was the boy in the trip report. Small world among teenage peak baggers.

My son did C2C at 12 but has been wanting to do C2C2C since. He has been signed up for a C2C2C trip that he had to pullout of due to a school activity.

His goal for this year was the A16 3 Peak challenge in a day (Baldy, San J, and San G) but now he also wants to do C2C2C this year as a 14 year old. There just is not a lot of time to do all the things he wants to do.

On only a loosely related subject: I am attempting to take ~20 people to the summit on Sunday. They will range from beginner to advanced. We will take the tram up then go to Round Valley. Freeze, I mean camp Saturday night. On Sunday we will pack up gear and take day gear to the summit. I will be pleasantly surprised if everyone can make the summit. Regardless it should be an adventure.
DHeuschele

Postby Cobra » Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 am

Good job Viper!
Cobra

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains