Skyline trail conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline trail conditions

Postby tedweitzman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I just spoke with the ranger re Skyline, and he told me that there are patches of snow above 7,500 feet and, of bigger concern, the trail kinda disappears or misleads at points because people have created "new trails" in the last couple months to avoid whatever snow there was/is. Has anyone finished Skyline since April 15, and what can you tell me about snow/ice on trail, how obvious is the trail and whether spikes are advisable and/or absolutely necessary. Thanks!
tedweitzman

Re: Skyline trail conditions

Postby booradley007 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 am

Did skyline easter sunday. only snow was a few spots at the traverse and some patches going up to the notch. maybe ten steps were required across snow and the rest could be avoided. Did not use traction devices. I'm sure the trail is snow free by now. Heat was a bigger issue for us.
booradley007

Postby neverwashasbeen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

As of last weekend, no special traction devices were needed on Skyline. The trail is not covered in snow and there are no issues following the route. The information you have from the ranger is a little outdated. If you continue on to the summit of San Jacinto(C2C), then all of the information from the ranger is still correct. Micros were of limited use, due to the afternoon temperatures and there are sections where the trail is hard to follow. Found 2 young ladies from San Diego who were lost and we helped them back to the main trail.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby Ellen » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Howdy All :)

Went up Skyline yesterday with Miracle Marilyn and Engine Joe. Started about 4:30 AM -- didn't need the headlamp for long. Starting temperature was 70 but we had a breeze and very low humidity, so we were comfortable. Encountered numerous folks on the trail. As Cameron noted, no need for traction devices up to Long Valley. It's going to warm up this week so I'll wait until the high in Palm Springs in ~90 and the starting temp ~60 before returning.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains