Snow conditions update Humber to San Jac.

General Palm Springs area.

Snow conditions update Humber to San Jac.

Postby pkirkham » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi all, just a quick update on snow conditions on the trail from Humber Park, Idyllwild, to San Jacinto peak. Did the hike today with my better half. We cruised up to the just above the Wilderness boundary/PCT cut-off from the main peak trail at approx. 7500'. One section of snow before this and then more snow above. We put our microspikes on and had no problems climbing. From Wellman's Divide junction it's still full snow cover all the way to the peak. It got pretty slushy and slippery on the way back down in the afternoon but nothing dangerous. One thing to note. We took the ridge from the last main switchback on the trail and encountered very annoying sun-cups higher up. Very windy and cold on top!! The snow is melting fast and I predict conditions are only going to get worse the next few weeks. Onward and upward!
pkirkham

Re: Snow conditions update Humber to San Jac.

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Howdy PKirkham :)

Thanks so much for the report. Sally, Marilyn and I experienced the same annoying sun-cups once we reached the ridge on the way to West San Bernardino peak. As Sally and Marilyn noted, it's like trying to walk over moguls :roll:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains