Conditions for Humber Park to Fire Lookout?

General Palm Springs area.

Conditions for Humber Park to Fire Lookout?

Postby SoCal Mike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi, everybody. I'm interested in hearing what kind of footwear is suggested for heading up the Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction and to the Lookout. I was on this trail a couple of weeks ago. It was icy but not too bad. Turned very slushy by noon and lots of water on the Slide on the way up and down. I felt pretty comfortable with Microspikes, maybe a little bit slippery; I ditched my snowshoes. But more snow has come in since then. I'm staying just one night.

Does anyone know what kind of condition this trail is in? What recommendations for traction: Microspikes? Crampons? Will I need snowshoes beyond Saddle Junction?

Thanks for any help!!

Sincerely,

Michael
SoCal Mike

Re: Conditions for Humber Park to Fire Lookout?

Postby Norris » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi SoCal Mike, last Saturday I climbed the South Ridge trail to the fire lookout with some friends. This is a better, safer way to get there in current conditions than going via Saddle junction. The latter has some east-facing terrain which could be difficult or even dangerous. Microspikes and trekking poles are sufficient if you follow the South Ridge trail from the South Ridge trailhead on the Idyllwild side, accessed via Saunders Meadow Rd. The lower part of the trail is dry and the upper part is discernible under the snow. We used crampons and ice axes on the final part of the climb because we chose to climb directly up instead of following the switchbacks, but micro spikes would have been fine for following the trail. On Sunday I climbed the Devil's slide trail, using microspikes and trekking poles. There are a few steep icy sections on that trail where care must be taken.
Norris

Re: Conditions for Humber Park to Fire Lookout?

Postby SoCal Mike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:03 am

Thank you so much. As luck would have it, my trip fell through. But this information will be good for any other excursions I might get to do in the next few weeks.

I truly appreciate your time.

Michael
SoCal Mike

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains