Snowshoe from tram to peak

General Palm Springs area.

Snowshoe from tram to peak

Postby Ellen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Howdy All :-)

Snowshoed from the tram to San Jacinto yesterday with seven friends -- Cameron, Marilyn, Sally, Mari (Sally's sister), Larry, Kalen, Robin. Thanks to those who broke in the route in the forest up to 10 K, we were able to take the modified winter route (Sid Davis > Tamarack > upper Tamarack > 10 K (big bend where trail passes Jean's gully and heads up to the Miller switchback) > Boy Scout route > peak.

To be honest, I followed the wrong snowshoe track and lost the route shortly after Sid Davis :roll: I was too far south and we had to go up and over a ridge to reach lower Tamarack. Cameron was in front and took Sid Davis to Tamarack. Compared to Christmas day, it was quite warm. When we reached Big Bend (10 K), I headed up the gully known as "Jean's Crotch" to the ridge and headed to San Jacinto.

Finally on the ridge after climbing up 'Jean's Crotch."

Looking towards Jean peak after reaching the ridge.

Rime ice on the ridge.

My friends went up the trail to Miller's Saddle and then took the Boy Scout route to the peak. When I reached the junction sign, I realized that my snowshoes were picking up new, sticky snow. It felt like I had cement on the bottom on my snowshoes. I had to stop periodically and bang my feet against trees/rocks to shed the snow.

As I was approaching the peak, Sally called out. We enjoyed lunch on San Jacinto before heading down (Sally's photo).

View of San Gorgonio from the peak (Sally's photo).

View towards Santa Rosa wilderness.

View towards Jean from the hut.

As we descended the Boy Scout route, Hiker Hal and his son were ascending. This is the first time I've actually met Hal, who I consider a dear friend even though this is the first time I've had the honor of meeting him.

Heading down to Tamarack.

Back at the tram. we enjoyed celebratory beverages before getting in line to head down.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Snowshoe from tram to peak

Postby guest » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Great post Ellen, I'm really wanting to head up there to enjoy this rare occurrence in the local forest the last few years.
Good for your trudging up the gully, that's a good way to piss off your quads!
Would you say 3+ ft. in the high country?
More snow is on it's way, careful anyone considering Skyline, as there will now be a couple layers.

Happy New Year, S2

Postby zippetydude » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:34 am

I agree, beautiful pictures Ellen! Congrats to all you hikin' fools plowing your way to the top. I remember the time when a few of us took turns breaking trail while the others caught their breath. I also remember breaking trail alone once, going part way up to DLS. Ugh. It's much more fun as a group! I'm hoping my joints will let me get out and have some fun this winter, especially since snow shoeing is not so challenging on the joints as it is the lungs. And we actually have some snow this December! Who knew? Hoping to hike with some good friends from this board soon. :)

BTW, ss, have you changed "ss" to "s squared"? If you're changing it, "SX2" sounds kinda cool also.

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks Zip, SX2 looks cool, maybe I should become a rapper, or wingsuit jumper to go with that.
Happy New Year! sx2

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains