Fall/Winter Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Fall/Winter Skyline

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Will Skyline be doable December thru April if there's no snow accumulation on the Transverse?
Brian

Re: Fall/Winter Skyline

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:48 pm

The one thing you can be sure of is that snow conditions on the Traverse are highly variable from December through April, and an excellent snow report can be out of date in less than a week. It is always 'doable', I suppose, by people with the proper levels of fitness, experience and equipment. But when there is snow on the upper trail, it is no place for people who don't know the trail and don't have snow experience.
Ed

Postby 2600fromatari » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:34 pm

There was snow and ice this past Saturday BEFORE the storm came through. There will surely be snow there in December. I didn't use Microspikes but sure wished I had them.
2600fromatari

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 am

I've done the trail several times and in snow twice. I used micro spikes in all snow to date and they work until it gets 6" or deeper or ice, then you need crampons. I been in slippery places with spikes and they were not helping much. Mount Baldy upper ski hut trail needed crampons the last two years after snows.
Brian

Postby Ed » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:45 am

Brian,

Obviously you have the experience to know the problems. Though I think it can't be reduced to simply the overall depth of the snow. Nothing you can do but check the latest snow reports.
Ed

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Ed, Does the ice on the shaded transverse melt between snowfalls, or does it accumulate there all season? I would expect the last two miles to be a bear on the iced-slopes even with crampon and ax.
Brian

Postby Ed » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Brian wrote:Ed, Does the ice on the shaded transverse melt between snowfalls, or does it accumulate there all season? I would expect the last two miles to be a bear on the iced-slopes even with crampon and ax.

I'm afraid I don't think it is safe to generalize. And there are quite a few people on this discussion board who have far more winter Skyline experience than I have. One of the worst conditions is a layer of soft snow over hard snow, which tends to occur when a recent storm follows a fairly long, cold dry period. You can end up slipping around on the soft snow, with the points on your traction only scratching at the hard snow underneath.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Howdy,
A group with Skyline snow/ice expertise is heading up tomorrow -- will post conditions.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy,
A group with Skyline snow/ice expertise is heading up tomorrow -- will post conditions.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen

While I cough my way up the Bump'nGrind. One of those sore throat victims you hear around, and keep your distance from. Love your snow reports, Ellen.
Ed

Postby mczzmm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:09 am

I'm soloing up early Saturday AM. Looking forward to ice reports. I'll have the ice axe on standby, yet hope not to need to carry it. I did C2C in Feb this year, carried the ice axe, yet thankfully didn't need it. Spikes, post hole and a melting factor on that day.

The bigger concern is the wind that is coming through tonight and tomorrow. Do they ever close the tram?
mczzmm

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains