C2C2C 11/13

General Palm Springs area.

C2C2C 11/13

Postby DUG » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:36 am

Perfect weather for this hike! Left at 0315, summited at 1245, back to the car at 2045. Stayed in t shirts all day, never having to break out extra layers, hats or gloves. We thought the trail was super easy to follow, though we did "rescue" one young lady who had strayed off a little bit. She yelled for help, one of our party went over and guided her back. She took off strong ahead of us and rejoined her party. No one we talked to all day planned on hiking all the way back down. With AT&T I had cell service on 90% of the Skyline section, which was fantastic for receiving updates on the football scores coming down. Initially we thought we could do it in 15-17 hours based on how we did on Mount Whitney and Rim to Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon, but we quickly realized this hike was a different beast. It is easily more difficult than either because of the trail conditions. The way up was okay, but that downhill was brutal. It took a lot of focus, though we had no problems following it down. (We 2 GPS tracks from previous hikers and recorded ours on the way up, but we never needed them). I can't imagine doing it in less than perfect weather, it was bad enough with gorgeous conditions.
DUG

Re: C2C2C 11/13

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Nice job! You can probably appreciate why most take the tram back down to avoid the joint-pounding downhill. I don't know if you started at the museum or Ramon, but if you do it again and prefer to do the downhill, the Ramon route is much less pounding on that last little bit on the way down. Of course, it's a bit longer. When I don't have time for Skyline but want a quick, intense uphill I go up the museum route to the picnic tables, then take the Ramon route back down and then just jog back to my car from there. Again, congrats on a huge undertaking.

z
zippetydude

Postby DUG » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:03 pm

We started at the museum. It is crystal clear why the tram is so inviting, but we wanted the full experience. Living near Lake Elsinore I can easily do San Jacinto out of Idyllwild a variety of ways and we do get to the summit fairly often. I think once is enough via Skyline.
DUG

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Well, yes, you surely got the full experience! I would encourage you to try it at least once doing only Skyline (just to Long Valley, not to San J) and using the tram on the return. For me, it changes the entire experience and makes it a great workout that only consumes a few hours and still leaves me fresh enough to be productive throughout the rest of the day. Also, it is a rare route in that there is almost zero downhill, so it's a unique mountain experience in that sense. You sound like you're an experienced hiker, so this might be a fun version for you. Just a thought. :)

z
zippetydude

Postby Norris » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Zip, are you trying to cultivate another Skyline addict? You know perfectly well that hike is addicting :lol:
Norris

Postby zippetydude » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:50 am

8) ...well, after all, it is a most healthy addiction.

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Zip, don't you mean 'mostly'? :D :D
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Howdy Cynthia :)

I don't have a problem...I can stop hiking Skyline any time I want to, really... :wink: :lol:

Speaking of Skyline, heading up tomorrow morning with Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn, Cheetah Cameron and Engine Joe 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
A proud member of Skyline Addict's Not So Anonymous
Ellen

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:56 pm

I can see one-way Skylines being addictive for some people. Keeping track of how many times you've done it, signs of irritability and depression when you can't go. But C2C2C? I must admit, I see more people coming down the trail. But as one of them said to me, 'I'm only doing this to say I did it, and I don't plan on repeating it.'
Ed

Postby zippetydude » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi Cynthia, my fellow grammarian! I'm not sure if you are inquiring about the grammatical use or making a clever play on words...
If you were inquiring about the grammar:
"Most" would mean "very" as in "It was a most unusual day." That would indicate that the adjective describing the noun is intensified with no qualification intended. The grammar is correct, although this usage is somewhat less common nowadays.
or were you making a play on words:
"Mostly" would mean "in large part" as in "I have mostly good news." That indicates that while the majority of the news is positive, there is a bit of bad news to come. So, are you cleverly suggesting that the "addiction" is not entirely healthy?
Either way, interesting post. :wink:

Hi Ellen, you Jacinto Junkie. :shock: I like the interesting spelling of the name alluding to a certain Twain character!

Hi Ed. I'm with you in that the way I enjoy Skyline or C2C involves omitting the interminable downhill and floating down on the tram. Not lazy, just practical!

z
zippetydude

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains