Info needed for Marion Mtn Peak

General Palm Springs area.

Info needed for Marion Mtn Peak

Postby drndr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:02 am

Hi,

Wanted to take the tram up and get to the top of Marion Mtn.. The plan is to take Tram Trail to Wellman Divide Jct and start finding a way up from there angling slightly west and south as we go up.

From other trip reports and google earth looks like a lot of brush (manzanita?) on the east side where we want to go up. Though there seems to be a bit less in a small ravine if you make a left at Wellman trail jct. If I was as proficient as HJ I would post a map. But I hope I'm explaining myself well enough.

Other than looping around to the back near deer springs, does anyone have any experince going straight up from Wellman divide and missing the brush?

Dan
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Re: Info needed for Marion Mtn Peak

Postby drndr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:08 am

http://caltopo.com/m/6FB6

Tried a caltopo map. Lets see if it worked. This is approximately what I meant
drndr

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:26 am

I think that route is the one used by hundred peaks section of sierra club.

Instead, if you head towards SJ on the trail from wellmans, turn left in about 100 feet and head toward Marion, that works too. Deer and other hikers have opened routes through the Chinquapin.
Wildhorse

Postby drndr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:28 pm

I checked out that Sierra page and the 100 hikes list. I should have checked there first. They even have a cal topo link to some XC routes. Thank you.
drndr

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:41 pm

I hope you enjoy it. Marion is one of my favorite hikes.
Wildhorse

Postby drndr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:23 am

Made it. Hit Jean first then over to Marion. On the way down we just followed which ever little course led us through the maze of brush. I would say we popped out maybe .25 mi south of Wellman Divide near the switchbacks. I wore shorts and only had one little scrape from the brush so felt it was a successful route. Once off trail we saw five dear and two humans. Weather was perfect.

D
drndr

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:35 am

Good job Dan. Glad you had a chance to explore. Incidentally, there's a very flat area just north of Marion that I have yet to explore. Did you wander through there at all? Any pics from the trip?

z
zippetydude

Postby Norris » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Hey Zip, the flat area you mention is easy to get to by traversing to Jean from the trail junction just below San J summit, and from there toward Marion. I've done this a couple of times and it is not difficult to avoid brush, while tagging both summits. From there you can descend an interesting dry, brush-free, huge boulder filled drainage that meets up with the Deer Springs trail.
Norris

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Awesome! Thanks Norris. Good to talk with you again. I'll check it out.

z
zippetydude

Postby drndr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Zip. Sadly I failed in the picture department. We came down Marion slightly NE and you can't help but be dumped into that flat area. Lots of places to camp if you wanted to. It's a big area. Soft dirt, little brush. The flat area almost guides you directly east and then down the hill. Not a lot of exploring because we stayed by the ridge for the most part thinking each little hump was part of Marion.

Maybe it was the rain in late Oct but very little signs of people there. I assumed even XC there would be some use trails in that flat area. I didn't see footprints or cairns. Of course we could have just missed them I guess.

Dan
drndr

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains