Spectacular Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Spectacular Skyline

Postby Ellen » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:22 am

Howdy All,

Marilyn, Sandy and I started at a bit after 5 AM -- it was 76 degrees and very humid. We'd hoped for cooler temps based on the NWS and were sweating heavily by the picnic tables.

On the positive side, the clouds helped provide a beautiful sunrise.

We met a fellow from Orange County and a couple from Alaska -- it was the first time for all and we continued to leap frog each other throughout the climb. From 3 K on, we were very grateful for the cloud cover and cooler temps.

It was howling at Grubbs Notch -- we donned additional clothes and hustled up to the tram, where the real adventure began.

After enjoying Angel's Demise IPA, we headed down to the boarding area. Andy Hollinger was there for an event and came over to say hi. Just as it was about time to board, we learned that the tram was not running due to lightning. Went back to the bar and was treated to another beer by a nice gent who'd heard we had hiked up. Went back down to the boarding area to wait, then all hell broke lose -- thunder, lightning, hail, flickering lights and sound of alarms.

Things seemed to settle down and we boarded. Started down but then had to come back up and disembark. Rather than go in and out again, everyone waited on the platform and moved around to keep warm. Finally got the A-OK, boarded and reached the valley station. The tram personnel were fabulous and professional throughout the entire E-ticket experience (old Disneyland reference). They have my thanks and gratitude for keeping us informed and safe.
Completed the adventure with wonderful food at the Original Las Casuelas.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Spectacular Skyline

Postby Sally » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Yep, sometimes the tram experience is as much of an adventure than the hike! And what a great excuse for another beer!
I love those cloudy Skyline days! Hopefully we will get a repeat when we go on Friday, maybe with cooler temps.
Beautiful pics!
Sally

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Wow, that sounds like an 'electrifying' experience. One time when my kids were little, we were coming down on the tram, and there was a sudden lightning storm. They actually stopped the tram mid-air and we just sort of 'hung out' there, hanging in the canyon, for about ten minutes, until they deemed it safe to continue down. It was a little nerve-wracking, though I was more preoccupied with keeping my toddlers from noticing we were trapped in a small box with a bunch of nervous people. :)
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby sthewlis » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks for the wonderful pictures!!! For those of us for whom the Skyline has moved (because of arthritis and old age) from the Bucket List to the Fuckit List, this was a wonderful way to experience the climb, albeit second hand. Loved it!
sthewlis

Postby Ellen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Howdy sthewlis,

Thanks for your kind words.

Please keep Skyline on your bucket list. We are finally getting cooler weather which makes it much easier for us mere mortals.

I do appreciate that age and arthritis makes hiking harder and hikes take longer. I'm noticeably slower than I was when I joined the forum in 2007. I have seven spinal fusions and a plate/screws Is holding what remains of my left ankle together. Also coming back from a badly fractured shoulder -- X-rays of plate and screws make everyone grimace.

Any time I get discouraged, I think of my inspirational friends who hike with much worse medical impediments, such as cerebral palsy and lung damage from treatment for lung cancer.

Bottom line, doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the tram -- enjoy the journey.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains