Best Date to do a late winter C2C

General Palm Springs area.

Best Date to do a late winter C2C

Postby hawkbill666 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:06 am

Hello again!

I am once again this year missing my October C2C. As most of you know I am a former Palm Springs resident, now 'tourist' back to my favorite mountain. But I am two weeks away from a rim2rim2rim (two days), so that is where my efforts are focused this year.

Ideally I come to PS in April? to do a skyline - with a possibility of a C2C.

What is the best date to be able to have a reasonable chance of doing a lightly snowy skyline - with a possiblity of a C2C?
Snow I am not concerned about - its the HEAT that kills me, so trying to nail down a date. I have all the winter gear, but am not interested in expedition level (ice axe, snowshoes, crampons), more spikes and gators kind of thing.

Yes, I know not asking you to predict the weather! :), just the date that generally is more likely to open into lightly snow conditions with still cooler air.
Ha, with that loose argument I think any month would do as long as there is not a storm or recent snow.

I fly nonrev so no loss for me to commit to a date and than have to adjust.

Thanks !!

Scott
hawkbill666

Re: Best Date to do a late winter C2C

Postby Ed » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:41 pm

There are several websites that have graphs of average daily high and low for the year. Here is one:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31313/Palm-Springs-California-United-States

But temperature alone does not seem to be everything. I was up on Saturday. The Palm Springs Low/High were 63/94. It was warmish! Not unsafe, not even uncomfortable, except for the sweat rolling into my eyes. But I definitely felt warmer than I have been at temperatures a few degrees higher. Perhaps it was the humidity, or the lack of any breeze.
Ed

Re: Best Date to do a late winter C2C

Postby hawkbill666 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks!
hawkbill666

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains