Pink chalk on Deer Springs trail

General Palm Springs area.

Pink chalk on Deer Springs trail

Postby Ellen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:29 am

Howdy All :)

I've been hiking the Strawberry loop from the tram about once a week with friends. Last Sunday, Miracle Marilyn noticed pink chalk listing mileage on the Marion trail junction sign :x That was bad enough, but then Neverwashasbeen pointed out more pink chalk listing mileage on a rock at Bed Springs crossing :evil:

The vandal probably isn't on this board, but I needed to vent.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Re: Green paint on Deer Springs trail

Postby zippetydude » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 am

The vandal may not be on this board, but the people who restore the natural beauty usually are. Remember those horrible fluorescent orange dots all over Skyline? All kinds of people pitched in to get rid of those...this seems like a more easily remedied problem. The odd thing is that I believe the people who do these things are actually trying to be helpful. A little more research on their part would be warranted. Next time I'm out on that loop I'll keep an eye out and if the markings are still there I'll take care of them myself. It they're already gone, I'll know it was probably someone here who has already taken care of it! :D

z
zippetydude

Re: Green paint on Deer Springs trail

Postby Ellen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Howdy Z :)

I absolutely remember those awful orange dots marring Skyline :evil:

Hiked up Fuller Ridge to San Jacinto yesterday -- it was a perfect day with great friends. Apparently I was hypoxic when I wrote green paint -- it is actually pink chalk. Still a PITA but hopefully easier to clean up.

Waiting eagerly for Skyline season to see you and other friends.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Pink Chalk on Deer Springs trail

Postby Ellen » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Bump
Ellen

Re: Pink chalk on Deer Springs trail

Postby RichardK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:35 am

There was a similar incident on the Ski Hut trail to Mt. Baldy recently. It has been repaired.

http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/about7151.html
RichardK

Postby Sally » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 pm

I, like z-dude, believe that the pink chalk is the product of miss-guided deranged do-gooders. They are of the same ilk as the "Florescent Orange" "Follow Me" dots on Skyline and the "Pink Duct Tape" "Pesky Trail Markers" on Dobbs Ridge and Duct Tape Ridge. Sadly, but not surprisingly, they have migrated north to the Baldy area. It is baffling, as these markers are on no-brainer trails. Mileages can be found on most maps, which anyone new to a trail should have in their possession.
Sally

Postby zippetydude » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Sally, you bring up an interesting point. People do like mileages. At least I do. I especially love the trail junction signs in Yosemite because they always list the mileage to the destination that they name. I also enjoy their nature, with the letters punched out of an aged metal sign that is probably older than me. Somehow they seem to belong there in the wilderness just by virtue of the length of their stay and the tell-tale wear and tear. It seems to speak of untold winters under 20' of snow, of wild summer thunderstorms and crystal clear nights beneath a starry sky. Well, at least to me.

Anyway, maybe over time the people who are "trying to help" will come across threads like this on boards focused on the outdoors and just pitch in to carry trash off the trail and other genuinely useful but unobtrusive measures instead of making a mess of things. Hope springs eternal...

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:36 am

Sounds like the Do-Gooders are at it again, arrgghh.
This summer, some folks decided to place large branches, (some over 10 ft. long), all along a few wilderness trails in & around Shanghai-la & others areas close to the tram. My guess is boulders, as many of the seem to treat the forest as a giant climbing wall / gym, bringing heaps of stuff, (lots of food, music-players, plenty of caulk spread around, large pads to trample anything close to their climbs, etc). I don't mind bouldering per se, but I've seen lots of abuse from some.

My guess is they want All their friends, (& anyone else who wanders off the main trail), to easily find all the hot-spots.
Seems using a map & compass, or even gps, or going with someone who knows, is too much effort, so Come One, Come All, is the motto.
I've removed most, (including large rocks, placed strategically), and also alerted the rangers.
Maybe make the permit process for some activities more thorough, requiring folks to read & sign in front of one of the park personnel, who reiterates what Not to do, (I know they get busy with many other chores up there to tend to), but some of these areas are getting over-use damage.

happy hiking, ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains