A Two-day Wander in the San Jacintos TR

General Palm Springs area.

A Two-day Wander in the San Jacintos TR

Postby Sally » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:44 am

I spent Wednesday and Thursday backpacking the San Jacintos with Ellen and Marilyn. On Wednesday we set out on the Deer Springs Trail thinking we might take the usual x-country route to Mt St Ellen and camp somewhere on one of the plateaus nearby. Along the way, our concerns about either carrying all our water or hoping we would find water up there caused us to reconsider. We decided to stick to the trail to Little Round Valley.

We made camp at the Thunder View site and hoofed it back down to Bed Springs to gather enough water for dinner, breakfast, and hiking in the AM.

After partying and dinner and a fairly good night of sleep we broke camp and headed x-country for the saddle that would line us up for some exploring. We bagged Newton Drury Peak (a first for us) and went in search of water at the head of Bed Springs. Not only did we find water, but also a bunch of rusty old stuff: a bed, coffee pot, grill, mixing bowl, etc. I had to wonder how the bed got there.

Then we continued on to Mt St Ellen where we had lunch and scrambled to the top of the rock and took in the view. The register with Ellen's album were still intact, and among the few entries was one by Hikin Jim who had been up there just a few days earlier.

Thus far our navigating had been impeccable until we got the brilliant idea to descend back to Deer Springs Trail via the Deer Springs drainage. Things went great until we were about halfway down. Then we found ourselves mired in refrigerator to VW sized boulders and brush. Our attempts to move left out of the drainage were fruitless. A very technical move called "the gluteal maneuver" (sliding down rocks on our butts) was necessary several times. Eventually we wound up in a swampy, deadfall-strewn meadow and shortly thereafter rejoined the trail.

It was a long hot walk back to the cars, but burgers and beverages repaired our thrashed bodies enough to drive home.

Today I will finish cleaning up my gear and put it away until our next amazing adventure.
Sally

Re: A Two-day Wander in the San Jacintos TR

Postby Ellen » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Howdy All :)

It was a great trip and a good thrashing with my mountain sisters :D

Resting at Bed Springs on the way up to LRV.

Camping at LRV.

Sister Sally chillin' in her new camp chair 8)

View north from Drury.

View west from Drury -- note my hand growing out of Sally's right ear.

View south from Drury.

Old campsite and bed springs at Upper Bed Springs.

Looking north towards San Gorgonio from Mt. Saint Ellen's.

Looking south from Mt. Saint Ellen's

The three stooges :)

"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..." :roll: :?

We hardly talked at all for the last 4 miles -- Sally said Mighty Mouse Marilyn was now Muted Mouse -- she called herself Limpin' Lizard due to neuroma pain.
I was the Bloody Blonde Hiker -- I've scratched myself raw thanks to fly and mosquito bites. XC didn't help either :lol:

With about two more miles to descend down Deer Springs, I nearly stepped on a Pacific Diamondback :shock: It was laying across the trail in dappled light and did not rattle. I jumped to the left as the snake moved to the right off the trail into a bush :o In my encounter with snakes, the Pacific Diamondbacks seem pretty mellow compared to other species. The only time I've seen this species agitated is when hikers are throwing rocks at them :x

I'm looking forward to day-hiking up Marion mountain trail and nailing down the XC approach to Marion and Mt Saint Ellen's.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Sally » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Here are the pictures from my Picasa web album (weird, I was under the impression that Picasa was no longer, but I think it is still working.):https://picasaweb.google.com/100947735931229008274/6305386918721653585?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Hmmm, maybe it isn't working after all!

Let's try again:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink
Sally

Postby climbant » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 pm

So that's why it's called bed springs. Thanks for the report and pics, I'm jealous.
climbant

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:18 am

Great trip report and pictures - Thanks
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Great pics from you three adventurers once again! Sally, a good camp chair can really make a trip more fun, huh? Looking forward to the next TR...

z
zippetydude

Postby Sally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Zip, I am experiencing a problem with the Helinox Camp Chair. After a hard day of hiking, once I sit in it I can't get out of it. Ellen noted that it is lacking an "eject button." I actually missed a summit bid in May when I was hopelessly stuck in the chair, gazing at Mt San Jacinto, and was unable to get out of the chair.
Sally

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:15 pm

So I am not the only one to execute the gluteal maneuver. :)
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains