Water Report?

General Palm Springs area.

Water Report?

Postby GaryN619 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:35 am

I am heading up to San Jacinto next weekend (06/24) and was curious about the water situation. I am heading up on Deersprings and camping at Strawberry and Round. Can anyone report if there is water to filter along the trail, as I really don't want to pack all the water needed? Thanks.
GaryN619

Re: Water Report?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:50 am

You may find this map useful: San Jacinto Water Sources.

I haven't been up lately, but Maranatha Spring will probably have water. Not sure about Joyce Spring but probably. Possibly water at Strawberry Cienega. Round Valley does not have water. You can go down to the ranger station in Long Valley and get water there.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby GaryN619 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 am

Thank you for the resource and response Jim. I appreciate the help.
GaryN619

Postby spotfin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:35 pm

My wife and I hiked from the Deer Springs TH to the summit last Saturday. We found water in three places. The first location was less than 4 miles from the TH and that was just a trickle. The second location was about 1/2 mile further along the trail and had pretty good flow. The third and last was a creek another few hundred yards later and that one had very strong flow. This was probably around 5 miles from the TH. I am sorry that I can't give you the names, I should probably study HikinJim's detailed maps.
spotfin

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:03 pm

It sounds like
1. North Fork Stone Creek
2. Deer Springs Crossing
3. Bed Springs Crossing

That's just off the top of my head without checking mileages

If so, I'm surprised that N Fork Stone Creek has water when Joyce Spring does not although Joyce Spring is so small that you might have missed it.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby GoPlayer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Two weeks ago when I hiked Deer Springs trail to the peak, then down over Wellman Divide/PCT/Deer Springs. The only place where water was actually flowing and it was easy to fill up was the Bed Springs crossing. Some of the other sources on HJ's map along the way were either just wet/muddy or dry. At least right at the trail, I don't know if one has to leave the trail for some of them to get to better spots.
GoPlayer

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:51 pm

GoPlayer wrote:Two weeks ago when I hiked Deer Springs trail to the peak, then down over Wellman Divide/PCT/Deer Springs. The only place where water was actually flowing and it was easy to fill up was the Bed Springs crossing. Some of the other sources on HJ's map along the way were either just wet/muddy or dry. At least right at the trail, I don't know if one has to leave the trail for some of them to get to better spots.

Bed Springs is the only really decent one on the west side in a dry year. Some of the others you definitely have to go off trail a bit. Lilly Spring, Joyce Spring, and N Fork Stone Creek are all best if you get off trail a bit, particularly Lilly Spring. The one in Little Round Valley, Owl's Hooch Crossing if I remember, is also best off trail, but I don't think there would be water there this year.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby GaryN619 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I will be heading up Deer Springs Friday and will report what I find. I appreciate all the help and information.
GaryN619

Postby hillbasher » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:34 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:You may find this map useful: San Jacinto Water Sources.

I haven't been up lately, but Maranatha Spring will probably have water. Not sure about Joyce Spring but probably. Possibly water at Strawberry Cienega. Round Valley does not have water. You can go down to the ranger station in Long Valley and get water there.

HJ

Hey Jim,
Haven't been up lately but will probably have. Not sure but probably. Possibly at. Does not have.
Sounds like the weather man stating it will be either sunny or cloudy, it will or will not rain tomorrow, and it will either be hot or cold out.
With some certainty, the sun will rise somewhere in the morning. LOL
Please know I write this in jest, as I have nothing but respect for HJ and the wonderful work he puts into these boards. Just couldn't help myself.
I use your maps and inputs religiously, and am ever thankful for them. Hillbasher
hillbasher

Postby Entropy1980 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:06 pm

GaryN619 wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I will be heading up Deer Springs Friday and will report what I find. I appreciate all the help and information.

Hey Gary,

I am heading up this weekend... any report on the water?

Thanks!
Entropy1980

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains