Skyline on Saturday, June 4

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Skyline on Saturday, June 4

Postby cynthia23 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Sorry dudes, I have been amiss on my 'rant' duty. Wildhorse, I have to believe you're messing with me a little bit. :)
Or, perhaps trying to get a conversation going on the subject? I'm fairly sure you aren't seriously going to go up Skyline this Saturday!! I sure hope not cause we need your lively commentary on this board, and if you aren't alive anymore, that's the end of that!

Ok. gonna post my rant now.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Would love to climb Skyline this Saturday, but at last minute change in plans has me in Pacific Grove Saturday where it will be about 50 degrees cooler. Burrrr.

Skyline could be crowded. The folks who hike on such days are a marvel to me. The summer Skyline risk is too high for me. I would surely wilt in such heat. I have taken other risks that have made a big positive difference to my life.

Cynthia's warnings are worth heeding by almost everyone.

I posted this question just to see what we might find out.
Wildhorse

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 pm

cynthia23 wrote: I'm fairly sure you aren't seriously going to go up Skyline this Saturday!! I sure hope not cause we need your lively commentary on this board, and if you aren't alive anymore, that's the end of that!
Lively conversation diminishes greatly post-mortem in my experience. ;)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby mattytreks » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 pm

Wildhorse wrote:I posted this question just to see what we might find out.

Are you saying you were trolling us? :lol:

All jokes aside, it's probably a good thing that we get a post like this early on in the summer season so that new members have the opportunity to heed the heat warnings.

I remember WAAAAAAY back on Perry's old (and first?) Cactus to Clouds site, he made users take a quiz in order to get to the actual info about C2C...ensuring the reader knew exactly what they were getting into. Does that site even still exist? If so I'd absolutely love to see it again for old times' sake!
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
mattytreks

Postby 2600fromatari » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:49 pm

I actually was planning on doing it. I found that while the last trip I made in the triple digits was not fun, I never felt that I was in any trouble. Personally, I'm backing off on this one not based on the triple digit temps at the valley floor, but NOAA's forecast for the summit, which is 82 as of right now. I can't remember the last time I saw it that hot that high before. There would basically be no respite from the heat.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 1EXrOT-X6M

I do hope people heed the warnings and there aren't any rescues (or worse) this week.

mattytreks wrote:I remember WAAAAAAY back on Perry's old (and first?) Cactus to Clouds site, he made users take a quiz in order to get to the actual info about C2C...ensuring the reader knew exactly what they were getting into. Does that site even still exist? If so I'd absolutely love to see it again for old times' sake!

skyline/skyline.html
2600fromatari

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains