Water report off Deer Springs/PCT

General Palm Springs area.

Water report off Deer Springs/PCT

Postby backpackpack » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I was planning to go to the desert this weekend but they say it'll be a little warm, so I think I will hike up into the mountains.

I am thinking of going up Deer Springs to Strawberry Junction, and heading east on the PCT from there so I can camp in San Bernardino, outside of the state park. I doubt it but I thought I'd check, is there any water at Strawberry Creek, or anywhere within like 2 miles of Strawberry Junction?

If not, I'll just get some good leg exercise :D
backpackpack

Re: Water report off Deer Springs/PCT

Postby Ulysses » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 am

When I was at Strawberry Cienega a few weeks ago it was barely a dribble. It would be possible to get water but would take some time. Who knows after this heat wave. There is still good flow in Marion Creek on the trail out to Suicide Rock.
Ulysses

Postby Sose » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:53 am

There is water at wellman cinega.was there Wednesday. Also shortly before there and below the trail. Easier to collect with a filter.
Sose

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 pm

backpackpack wrote:Hello everyone,

I was planning to go to the desert this weekend but they say it'll be a little warm, so I think I will hike up into the mountains.

I am thinking of going up Deer Springs to Strawberry Junction, and heading east on the PCT from there so I can camp in San Bernardino, outside of the state park. I doubt it but I thought I'd check, is there any water at Strawberry Creek, or anywhere within like 2 miles of Strawberry Junction?

If not, I'll just get some good leg exercise :D

There's probably water at Maranatha Spring and possibly at Joyce Spring. Joyce Spring is just north of Strawberry Junction on the PCT. See map: http://caltopo.com/m/6V2F

Maranatha Spring from about a year ago:

Joyce Spring from about a year ago:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains