Exploring beyond the Goat Trails and the end of Dunn Road

General Palm Springs area.

Exploring beyond the Goat Trails and the end of Dunn Road

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:27 pm

I went out and did a little exploring a couple weeks ago on the Goat Trails and Dunn Road. Those are some pretty desolate areas...About 3 miles out on the Goat Trails I came across this sign:

ImageDSCN0344 by zippetydude

Looking the other way there was another sign"

ImageDSCN0336 by zippetydude

Has anyone explored the trail heading off towards Fern Canyon, Vandeventer, etc.?

Also, I went out Dunn Road a few miles until I came to the top of the Art Smith Trail. The road continues on east from there, but I have no idea what is out there or if it's worth exploring...anyone been out there?

z
zippetydude

Re: Exploring beyond the Goat Trails and the end of Dunn Roa

Postby Florian » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 pm

zippetydude wrote:Has anyone explored the trail heading off towards Fern Canyon, Vandeventer, etc.?

Hi Zip,

I've hiked those trails many times. Basically in my backyard. Any specific questions?

-Florian
Florian

Postby David W » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:04 am

I have looked at the area a lot on Google Earth. desktop (as opposed to mobile app) version can get in real close, 3D, etc.

Florian, do you think whomever is in charge of that area (Monument?) would be interested in having the dozer removed?
David W

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:10 pm

David W wrote:I have looked at the area a lot on Google Earth. desktop (as opposed to mobile app) version can get in real close, 3D, etc.

Florian, do you think whomever is in charge of that area (Monument?) would be interested in having the dozer removed?

That would be a monumental task. There's also an earth mover about a half a mile west of there that is dead. They're actually kind of interesting, though clearly they're not supposed to be left there like that.

Florian, I'm wondering if the trails are appropriate for mountain biking. From Dunn Road I looked down the Art Smith trail, which I have never traveled, and contemplated riding down it, but didn't want to be rude if bikes are not allowed. There was nothing posted but I thought it best to look into it first.

Also, are the various destinations listed on the sign distinctive or interesting in some particular way?

One other thing. From where I was at the sign, looking east, I could see a tall, kind of conical, seemingly very steep mountain not far away to the east, maybe a couple of miles or so. I think it's the one you can see on the left in the background in this picture:

ImageDSCN0343 by zippetydude

It looked like it would offer a great 360 degree view. Have you ever climbed it? If so, how was the view?

z
zippetydude

Postby David W » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:48 pm

If you haven't already, check out mountain bike Bill's Palm Canyon Epic, etc.

Big stuff like that is my daily work, and I have some pretty big stuff and maybe access to bigger. If I could get access to it, it could probably be done. Maybe get them to run enough to limp out, or cut them up and haul out the pieces.

IMO, they should at least drain all the fluids, etc. if it hasn't been done already.
David W

Postby David W » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Oh, and if you get out there again, a bunch of pics of them would be awesome, especially the engines/running gear. I am not inclined to go out there until next winter now!
David W

Postby David W » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:50 pm

David W

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Aw rats! David, I had my camera with me and was just about to take a bunch of pics...and I thought, "What on earth am I gonna do with pics of dead machinery?" I'm having fun checking out the new routes, so I'll probably be back out there in a week or two after this heatwave is over. I'll post 'em then...on one condition...I've always been fascinated by huge machinery like these...if you're gonna give it a go, gimme an invite so I can watch and learn. I would love to be involved, maybe even ride on one of the beasts!

Oh, and thanks for the "Epic" reference. I've already looked it up and am mapping it out. I did a 20 miler last weekend, so this would be right down my alley, though I would probably do it as an out and back rather than with a shuttle. Good way to burn off a few extra calories.

z
zippetydude

Postby Florian » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Zip. The peak you asked about is Murray Hill. Not sure if mtn bikes are officially allowed on the trails but they are ridden by bikers often. Seems you did ride up based on the photo. I thought you had been hiking/running. The Cahuilla tribe doesn't want bikes down towards Palm Canyon. Most of the trails around Palm Springs were built by the Desert Riders equestrian club and some signs say no bikes but i don't think that is official. Personally i'd much rather share trails with bikes than with horses.

-Florian
Florian

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi Florian. Zip, Murray Hill is a delightful hike. It kind of reminds me of the Matterhorn at Disneyland--it's so conical it almost seems fake. There are picnic tables up there. There are wonderful views of 'the big mountains', i.e the San Jacintos. One year on 4th of July I hiked up there at night with a friend with the idea of watching the fireworks in the valley, but we were actually too high up, and could see nothing at all.

You mentioned the yellow bulldozer at the end of the Art Smith trail. Actually we would never want to remove it as it's kind of a treasured landmark for us locals. It is the remnant of 'crazy Mr. Dunn" for whom Dunn Road is named. Dunn was a local developer who during the 1960's got it into his head that the area behind Murray Hill would be perfect for a new development, so he started bulldozing a road straight toward it. He totally neglected to get landowner's permission or even discuss it with them, though. He basically thought, 'if I build it--i.e. a road--then I will get people to finance this thing and give me money to buy the land I'm meanwhile bulldozing my way across." Fortunately no one went along with him, and after a while, the scheme was abandoned, along with a couple of bulldozers. Actually, crazy Dunn was fairly prescient, as the flat valley behind Murray Hill would in fact be perfect for a development, and that's why the Sierra Club threw their weight behind the BLM proposed land swap with the AC tribe--because the tribe agreed to purchase this parcel and give it to the public in the swap. As some know I still don't think that makes it a good swap, but that's another post.

So anyway, I kind of like that crazy yellow bulldozer--because it's part of the history of these trails, including Dunn Road, which, while not leading to any kind of development, is excellent for mountain bikers. In fact, President George W. Bush mountain biked up here while he was in office. Always wondered how the secret service dealt with that. :shock:
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains