Permits and food storage?

General Palm Springs area.

Permits and food storage?

Postby OldsRocket » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:23 am

I have an overnight camping permit for later this month. I am starting at Humber Park and heading to Round Valley to camp. I'm planning to hike to the top of San Jacinto the following day and return to Humber Park. My question is do I need permits to use devils slide and hike to the peak of San jacinto even though I already have the overnight permit?

Also, are there any requirements for food storage? Is it okay to keep everything in my tent?

Last question, is it safe to leave my tent and some belongings at Round Valley and walk to the tram without worrying about theft?

I appreciate any insight you may provide.
OldsRocket

Re: Permits and food storage?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 am

OldsRocket wrote:I have an overnight camping permit for later this month. I am starting at Humber Park and heading to Round Valley to camp. I'm planning to hike to the top of San Jacinto the following day and return to Humber Park. My question is do I need permits to use devils slide and hike to the peak of San jacinto even though I already have the overnight permit?
You should be able to go up the Devils Slide Trail to Round Valley using your State permit, but just in case you might want to call the Forest Service in Idyllwild.

OldsRocket wrote:Also, are there any requirements for food storage? Is it okay to keep everything in my tent?
Bears aren't a problem in the San Jacintos, but rodents can be. I typically store my food outside my tent.

OldsRocket wrote:Last question, is it safe to leave my tent and some belongings at Round Valley and walk to the tram without worrying about theft?
There are no absolute guarantees, but I'd feel safe doing it with my stuff.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby castone001 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:47 am

thinking of doing the same thing!! How is the water situation? Carry all in? or?
castone001

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:42 pm

castone001 wrote:thinking of doing the same thing!! How is the water situation? Carry all in? or?

I haven't been up lately, but I understand that the spigot in Round Valley is dry. You might find water at Wellmans Cienega; you might not. There will definitely be water at the ranger station, but that's about 4 miles round trip out of your way. Still 4 miles is better than hauling it all the way from Idyllwild/Humber Park. You could drop your pack at Round Valley, and just take bladders/canteens/bottles to the ranger station.

There may be water at Powderbox Spring, but that's still a long way from Round Valley.

There may also be potholes of water in the creek below Round Valley.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby OldsRocket » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 pm

What do you recommend storing food in? I hope to start backpacking this summer in the San Jacinto, San Bernardino, and San Gorgonio mountains. I'm hoping to find a food storage method that will work for numerous areas.
OldsRocket

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:27 am

I myself use an Ur Sack. $70 bucks, so they're not cheap, but I've gotten good use out of mine.

Bear canisters are more secure but are heavier, bulkier, and don't collapse down as you eat the food. :(

If you're planning to do a lot of stuff in the Sierra, then a bear canister is probably the better bet. Canisters are required in many areas of the Sierra, and you can't use an Ur Sack.

Whether an Ur Sack or a canister, they're all around $70 give or take unless you get one of the really nice carbon fiber ones which are truly spendy.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains