marion mountain trail questions

General Palm Springs area.

marion mountain trail questions

Postby HalfTamed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 am

Hi all,

I am planning to hike to the peak from Idyllwild / marion mountain trail. I have been to the peak a couple of times before (via the tram) and I think I am ready for the hike up via the marion mountain trail. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any inputs

- Where exactly does the trail head begin? Google Maps shows the ranger station to be here : https://www.google.com/maps/place/54270 ... 16.7145438 . But this seems to be south of the trail. Does the trail not begin from near the ranger station?

- Is there a map for the trail , or can I get one from the ranger station? So far I have been looking at this map put up by another user (thanks mattytreks!) https://www.flickr.com/photos/133427121 ... 927861210/ .

- Between Marion Mountain trail and Deer Springs trail, is there one that is particularly more scenic?

- Is this a marked and maintained trail or is there a chance of getting lost? (Well I am not exactly stupid but am not an expert navigator either)

Thanks for any insights and also for this great community. I hope to do the skyline trail someday (most definitely not in the summer :D)
HalfTamed

Re: marion mountain trail questions

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:54 am

The Deer Springs Trail is a bit better marked and is certainly less steep than the Marion Mountain Trail. I might try the Deer Springs Trail for my next step up from the tram.

The trail head is on Hwy 243 and is not right by the ranger station. See this map: http://caltopo.com/m/6N5B

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Awesome map Jim.

Hi HalfTamed. When you are on the trail, do you revert to your alter ego, HalfWild? :) I'd take HJ's advice on which trail to choose. Marion Mountain is just about as steep as Skyline and will feel like it is much longer than the actual distance. It's still a nice trail and it offers variety, it just might be more fun after you've done a little more trail time. Either way you can't lose, the trails are both fairly obvious. When you do end up doing Marion, there is a convenient kiosk just after you turn off of Hwy 243 where you can pick up a wilderness permit without having to drive all the way to Idyllwild and back. It's located at the entrance to the Stone Creek Campground.

BTW, pay close attention to your return route as you are getting close to the peak. A lot of people get turned around and end up going the wrong way. I've been on many hikes all over the mountain, and I still got turned around a couple years ago. It was a bright beautiful day and I was thinking more about the wind in the trees and the puffy clouds floating by than about route finding, and ended up having to retrace almost half a mile...this from someone who is already familiar with the trail! In any case, hope you have a great experience.

z
zippetydude

Postby Ed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:19 pm

There's a county park parking lot on the other side of 243 from the Deer Springs trail head. You can park there, and it is a more obvious marker than the trail head itself.
Ed

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:38 pm

zippetydude wrote:Awesome map Jim.
Thanks, Zip. The topic has come up before, so I just trot that out whenever that happens. Hopefully it provides some clarity. Of course it does to map geeks like me, and I hope so also for others.

Note to HalfTamed: You can switch to satellite photo, Google Map, etc. on that map link. Caltopo is a pretty nice site.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby HalfTamed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Jim, That is a great map! I now have a much better understanding of the area.

zippetydude, I try to revert only to HalfWild and not FullyWild :)

All,
I will listen to the suggestions here and hike along Deer Springs. Am in no hurry, Marion Mountain trail isn't going anywhere..

Happy Hiking !
HalfTamed

Postby guest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi,
Deer Springs also has some excellent Cedars & big Manzanita, plus a more gradual grade, (as others have mentioned). Marion has sections of slippery boulders which can be tedious on the way back on tired legs.
Looks like some flowers, (mt. lupine & the ferns) are popping out too!

As Ed mentioned, the county park across from DS trailhead has lots of parking & restrooms.

Have a great time in the forest, should be beautiful, (bring some layers in case some weather blows in, which happens up there).

ss

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains