Condition of road to Fuller Ridge?

General Palm Springs area.

Condition of road to Fuller Ridge?

Postby JustinB » Tue May 24, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm interested in going on this hike, but am not sure about the road conditions. I've read varying reports of how navigable it is. I have a wagon, not the highest ground clearance but not the lowest either. I haven't had any issues with the dirt roads out to South Ridge or out to Marion Mountain trailheads, and just want to make sure this isn't measurably worse. Thanks in advance.
JustinB

Re: Condition of road to Fuller Ridge?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 24, 2016 4:04 pm

I went up last summer, and the road was in good shape for my Accord. What I don't know is how winter rains may have affected in since then.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Tue May 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I've been up it many times over the past 10 years or so. My experience is that if the gate is unlocked then the road is passable for any reasonable car. It's reminiscent of the Fish Creek Road...slow and winding, but definitely enough clearance for most cars. It's actually a bit better than Fish Creek, if that point of reference helps at all. You'll be fine.

z
zippetydude

Postby Florian » Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 pm

I've heard the road is in pretty good shape. At least to Boulder Basin campground. I'll be up on Thursday for the opening of Black Mtn fire lookout and will try to post an update re conditions.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Florian » Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 am

The road to Boulder Basin campground is in fairly good shape. Some ruts but i'd think would be passable in a regular car with careful driving. There is a bit of new PAVED section as well! I'd say is similar to South Ridge trailhead road but not as steep, just a lot longer.

-Florian
Florian

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains