5/21 "Tour of San Jacinto" Trip Report + Photos

General Palm Springs area.

Re: 5/21 "Tour of San Jacinto" Trip Report + Photos

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 24, 2016 4:07 pm

mattytreks wrote:
Ellen wrote:Great pictures and TR thanks 8) I especially like the icicle shot. Like Ulysses, I also love the Strawberry Cienega. Time to hike the Strawberry loop from the tram 8)

Thanks Ellen! I imagine those icicles will be melting quickly over the next few weeks 8)

Hikin_Jim wrote:Definitely Upper Bed Spgs Xing

Thanks for confirming, Jim!

Hikin_Jim wrote:Actually, you were in the San Jacintos not the Santa Rosas

Oops, I've corrected that. Thanks for clarifying.

Hikin_Jim wrote:Nothing immediately comes to mind, but at my age that doesn't mean much. :)

It seems prominent and distinctive enough to warrant a name. Now, what to name it... :?
I suspect it's something informal. I've not heard of bus or shuttle service on that side of the mountain, but I could be wrong.

One common trick is to have multiple people in a group drive cars. You park one car at the end of the trip and then drive the other car to the start. When you reach the end of the trip, you use the car sitting there waiting for you and drive back to the starting trailhead. But you probably already knew that. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby pkirkham » Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 am

JustinB. No formalized shuttles available.....however, there are many options available. My buddy and I used two cars for last weeks trip but I have run and hiked the loop you want to do may times, in both directions. If you start at Deer Springs you can either try and hitch a ride back to Idy, which I have successfully done on many occasions, or just hike/jog back to town. From town it's not far back to your car at the DS trailhead. If you do it the direction you want to you'll have an uphill hike back to Humber Park! You may be able to hitch a ride but I've never tried that. Best way is go with a buddy and use two cars if possible.
pkirkham

Postby mattytreks » Wed May 25, 2016 6:56 pm

pkirkham wrote:JustinB. No formalized shuttles available....just hike/jog back to town.

In my mind, seems like from Deer Springs Trailhead to Humber Park would only be a mile, if that. Am I wildly underestimating the actual distance?
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
mattytreks

Postby Sose » Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Actually about 2 and a half to 3. Done it both ways and it's not too bad but kind of boring which makes it seem longer.
Sose

Postby Sose » Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Another thing I have done many places is to leave a bike at the top and ride down to my truck, or leave the truck at the top and ride to the lower trailhead, picking up the bike on my way out. Awesome pictures btw.
Sose

Postby Fred » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:12 am

Planing on doing this loop this Saturday June 4th,is there still snow on any of the trails? How about water?

Thanks for any info

Fred
Fred

Postby mattytreks » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Fred wrote:Planing on doing this loop this Saturday June 4th,is there still snow on any of the trails? How about water?

Hi Fred- I can only speak to how conditions were at the time I wrote this review two weekends ago, but the only snow you can expect to encounter is a few VERY minor patches on the Peak Trail just above Wellman Divide. Other than that, this entire loop is devoid of snow. Water however, is a different story. Upper Bed Spring Crossing, which crosses Deer Springs Trail just prior to cresting at Little Round Valley, is flowing quite well.

Many other water sources can be referenced in this post by Hikin_Jim, 'The San Jacinto Water Project', in which he published this extremely helpful map.

Enjoy your loop trip, and make sure to go UP the back side and then DOWN the front side...much easier on the knees descending that way 8)
Last edited by mattytreks on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
mattytreks

Postby Fred » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks Matty
Fred

Postby Sose » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Just got back from hiking devil slide to saddle to wellman, Jean & SJ. A few dirty patches near wellman divide but not on the trail. The most I saw was on the shady side of Jean peak. Though I brought spikes, I never put them on. Just avoided it. No where else did I see much and after our warm weekend it will be less. Wellman Cinega has water and also about 20 yards SW and below the trail from the spring,there is much water oozing up. Saw 4 deer drinking there, unfazed by me.It would be helpful to have a filter, make a hole and pump it out as it is mostly surface water.
Sose

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains