Leatherneck Ridge (opposite Skyline) trip report

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Leatherneck Ridge (opposite Skyline) trip report

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Gotta catch 'em first...

https://youtu.be/zduShWQ0qfc

I had no idea cows could move like that. I know it might sound mean, but simply shooting the cows might have been the best solution. I'm sure other wildlife would have made good use of the meat, and they're an invasive species after all!

Back to the OP, I find it fascinating to find old, little used trails myself. In my quest for Onion Rock I came across a very clear path that ran north from the ridge I was on. It's not on any maps, so I will have to go find it again and follow it to its ending. Maybe I can trace it on satellite imagery...

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 pm

BLM has been aware of the cattle problem near Whitewater for at least a few years. I don't know why they have not yet solved it. The cattle may belong to someone grazing them illegally. No question though, the land is no longer available for legal grazing.
Wildhorse

Postby cynthia23 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Holey Moley Zip, that thing was like an Olympic jumper! :shock:

Ken, I remember you telling me, I think, that it's possible these Whitewater cattle actually do belong to someone and are not 'wild' (in which case my scheme to shoot one would have been cattle rustling!) We tend to forget that a lot of cattle are grazed on public lands. I feel ambivalent about that--I certainly want to support small ranchers and meat which is grazed, not grown in a feedlot. But the cattle really are so destructive. I try to buy bison meat whenever I can find it because their grazing does not cause these same problems.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Wildhorse » Fri May 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: whitewater cattle

In addition to the erosion, I think about the co2 problem and maybe ultimately a cruelty problem, even if their time at Whitewater is good time.

I don't know about the way bison are raised, or their co2 production. Do you know? I hate to think about what we did to the great herd that lived in the tall grass of the prairie.
Wildhorse

Postby zippetydude » Sun May 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Actually, if you come into the San Gorgonio Wilderness on the PCT from the Cottonwood trail head (just north of the Haugen Lehmann off ramp) there is a sign at the boundary and at times there is an entire herd back there grazing. My understanding is that the grazing rights were grandfathered in despite the wilderness designation.

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Mon May 30, 2016 10:04 am

Hey, it's actually a partnership between Nestle, (sucking the creeks & groundwater dry in San G area), and now McDonalds getting free grazing!
The info I obtained from a WWP "associate" was they Used to be part of a Morongo tribal members, (as are, I believe, the large heard that Zip & others have spotted on the west side. These 5-7 in Whitewater are now a feral off-shoot, supposedly. And, they are lean & agile, & will be more difficult, I'd imagine, to capture, even with good wranglers on good horses.
I've seen evidence of them scaling 5-7 ft. slippery granite on fairly step angles.

They've also caused damage to the PCT. I've asked about rubber bullets & other devices, and I did get an interesting look back from the gentleman I was discussing it with.

Maybe transplant a few cougars, or bring some wolfs down from Idaho, (they're being killed again up there anyways)! Maybe tame them & half kiddie rides!
Use the poop for an organic garden up there, 4H breeding grounds, the possibilities are endless.

(btw Cynthia, there was another trail that Art Smith & others told me about around the east slopes above the canyons.

ss

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains