Camping near Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Camping near Skyline

Postby Viper » Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

We are looking at hiking Skyline (from Ramon Rd.) on Saturday and need a place to camp Friday night -- the closer the better. Any suggestions on nearby campgrounds or anywhere that would accommodate three tents?
Viper

Re: Camping near Skyline

Postby cynthia23 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Well, the cynic in me wants to tell you that actually, homeless people often illegally camp in areas near the base of the Ramon trailhead--there's several open desert areas in the West end of town, aka huge 'vacant lots', in particular one near the Tahquitz wash, near Belardo and Mesquite Road. There are a lot of homeless folks camped in that area and you could blend in, maybe. If you are male and confident and have a sense of humor and aren't grossed out too easily and keep a low profile (i.e. no tents) (or fires!), you would probably be fine. I don't recommend that idea if any of your group are female, that's too risky. There are also a number of homeless people camped out in the Santa Rosa foothills that line East Palm Canyon in Cathedral City, in particular in the hills across the street from Target, and in the Cathedral Canyon wash, which is at the end of Date Palm road. The wash goes quite a ways up into the Catheral Canyon cove and is probably your quietest option as most of the homeless people seem to camp relatively close to East Palm Canyon. Also you might be able to get away with tents there, if you went into one of the little feeder canyons. (be careful though, there is one that a homeless guy has staked out with a full tent, and he has a big dog.) However, you'd have to park near Palm Canyon and then carry your gear a ways up the wash and that would probably take a good thirty minutes or more. So overall I--sort of, half-jokingly-- recommend the area near Belardo and Mesquite.

Other than that--the nearest official 'camp grounds' are probably in Joshua Tree, at least that I know about offhand. Anyone else?

Postscript--since you have cars, you might also consider some of the large 'vacant lots' in Cathedral City itself--there's a big one at the corner of DaVall and Dinah Shore. Another huge area is the north side of Ramon Road between the freeway and DaVall. There are def. homeless people near the freeway, be careful. Whatever you do don't try camping in any of the desert areas or washes of Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert. The cops there are Riverside Co Sheriff's and they are notoriously nasty. There are few homeless folks there for a reason.

Second postscript--I just remembered that there is an RV park where I have also seen pitched tents. It's just off Cathedral Canyon Road, south of Perez. The name of the park is Cathedral Palms RV Park. It's a bit sleazy but legal and I think quite cheap. That's probably your safest and cleanest option.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Viper. Have I got a deal for you! The Whitewater Preserve is a beautiful area and they even allow camping for free right in the grassy picnic area by the visitor center. You have to contact them in advance to make the arrangements, but they are great to work with and very accommodating. It's only about 10 minutes from the trail head, so it's probably almost ideal for your purposes.

From their site: "Permits for preserve camping, backcountry trip parking, and afterhours hiking are available at the preserve ranger station during open hours, in person or by phone. For additional information or to make a reservation for the campground, call the preserve at 760.325.7222."

Here's a link: http://www.wildlandsconservancy.org/pre ... water.html

Keep your eyes peeled when you're there. You might see some beautiful bighorn sheep. Check out the thread below titled Mountain Goats (and other critters) at Whitewater

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5515

Enjoy!

z
zippetydude

Postby Viper » Wed May 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks, Zip and Cynthia. I called Whitewater and they said they are booked for Friday night. Darn! Any experience with Miller Creek Preserve? Looks like it's near Whitewater.
Viper

Postby Sose » Wed May 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Another option is Pinon Flat on hwy 74 if you don't mind a little mountain driving. Should be little traffic at dark thirty.
Sose

Postby Sose » Wed May 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Or maybe snow creek pct trailhead
Sose

Postby bamm321 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Couple of other local options might be The Living Desert Zoo, and Lake Cahuilla park
bamm321

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed May 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Sose wrote:Or maybe snow creek pct trailhead

No offense, but that's not going to go over well with the residents. Maybe if you hiked in a mile, but that's not conducive to what they're trying to do.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Viper » Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks, all. That gives me some options to consider.
Viper

Postby birgezici » Fri May 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi Viper - if you have situated. As cynthia23 suggested, Cathedral Palms RV Resort might be your best option. My understanding they are allowing tent camping, per lot you can put 2 tents and nightly fee including tax $40.00 per lot.
Address: 35901 Cathedral Canyon Dr, Cathedral City, CA 92234, Phone:(760) 324-8244
Cheers,

Birgezici
birgezici

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains