Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri May 20, 2016 11:16 am

pkirkham wrote: Two weeks from now it will melt and there will be no water for campers at Tahquitz Meadow."
:(

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Ulysses » Sat May 21, 2016 1:42 pm

I was up there this morning and found water in 3 different locations between Skunk Cabbage Meadow and Tahquitz Peak. I would expect one of the water sources to be dry within the next few weeks, the others should be flowing for a couple months. None were very far off the trail. There is probably more if you want to scrounge around.
Ulysses
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Idyllwild

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun May 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Ulysses wrote:I was up there this morning and found water in 3 different locations between Skunk Cabbage Meadow and Tahquitz Peak. I would expect one of the water sources to be dry within the next few weeks, the others should be flowing for a couple months. None were very far off the trail. There is probably more if you want to scrounge around.

Wow! Good job. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Gooda » Wed May 25, 2016 7:27 pm

So I'm happy to report there's water in the upper part of little tahquitz valley pretty much where it's indicated on Hiking Jim's map. My Usgs map didn't exactly match up but it's right past the junction of the PCT and the Little Tahquitz trail. Took a bit of perseverance but we found it- there was still a bit of snow but wasn't necessary. It's right in the gully above where the forest service has the PCT roped off due to the Mountian Fire closures. I also ran into a ranger who has been on the mountian 25 years and he said that spring has always had water even in multi year droughts. Tried to attach a photo but it's too large. Hard to say if that spring will last all summer but seams strong for several more weeks at least.
Gooda
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

Gooda wrote:So I'm happy to report there's water in the upper part of little tahquitz valley pretty much where it's indicated on Hiking Jim's map. My Usgs map didn't exactly match up but it's right past the junction of the PCT and the Little Tahquitz trail. Took a bit of perseverance but we found it- there was still a bit of snow but wasn't necessary. It's right in the gully above where the forest service has the PCT roped off due to the Mountian Fire closures. I also ran into a ranger who has been on the mountian 25 years and he said that spring has always had water even in multi year droughts. Tried to attach a photo but it's too large. Hard to say if that spring will last all summer but seams strong for several more weeks at least.

Good to know. My experience is that that water source does go dry, particularly in later season. It was dry in January 2015.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Andy » Thu May 26, 2016 10:24 am

Gooda wrote:I also ran into a ranger who has been on the mountian 25 years and he said that spring has always had water even in multi year droughts.


Gooda, just curious if what you found and what the ranger was refering to was in fact a spring/pipe and not just seasonal flow of water in the creek bed. I think what Jim's map is referencing is simply the trail crossing of Tahquitz Creek, which in itself is usually one of the better sources in that area.

Thanks
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Gooda » Thu May 26, 2016 10:32 pm

The water I found is a natural flowing spring in the bed of a dry creek bed not a pipe
Gooda
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Water source near Chinquapin Zone?

Postby Andy » Fri May 27, 2016 8:29 am

Gooda wrote:The water I found is a natural flowing spring in the bed of a dry creek bed not a pipe


Thank you that's good news during this dry spell.
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Florian and 6 guests