I've Neglected Non-C2C/Skyline SanJ Trails - Help Needed

General Palm Springs area.

Re: I've Neglected Non-C2C/Skyline SanJ Trails - Help Needed

Postby Ulysses » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:09 pm

HJ. I hiked through Deer Springs and Bed Springs the other day. I didn't hike to Marion but I did take another look around Deer Springs and concluded that you are probably right. It would be shorter and more direct to go from Deer Springs camp directly to Marion. There is a lot of brush right around the creek, but there is an area just west of the creek that isn't bad. Lot's of big boulders to scramble on or around. Not sure why I had it in my pea-brain to go up from Bed Spring (maybe it was a time when Deer Springs was dry and I needed the water), but it is surely longer, and beautiful hike.

The CCC crew is hard at it at Deer Springs camp again. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish. They had a gas powered jack-hammer and were hammering away on some boulder above (south) the trail. Maybe they are trying to re-route the trail. I was happy to not see a campfire in their campsite.
Attachments
Jackhammer.jpg
Ulysses

Re: I've Neglected Non-C2C/Skyline SanJ Trails - Help Needed

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:36 am

The CCC crew is hard at it at Deer Springs camp again. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish. They had a gas powered jack-hammer and were hammering away on some boulder above (south) the trail. Maybe they are trying to re-route the trail. I was happy to not see a campfire in their campsite.
Again? Someone needs to give them an LNT talk. The had built a stand up urinal only maybe a dozen feet from the creek. At least they had the courtesy to take down the "No camping here; fragile area" sign. I found it face down in among all the other crap. They left a huge pile of crap (pots, ice chests, misc. gear) covered in tarps that sat there for at least a year, maybe two. They didn't come at all last summer as I recall. And they're carving paths straight through the meadow. Their style is very antebellum. It's like they never heard of environmentalism, sustainability, low impact, or Leave No Trace.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains