Cedar Springs -- Jo Pond Trails 2 Indian Canyon Trading Post

General Palm Springs area.

Cedar Springs -- Jo Pond Trails 2 Indian Canyon Trading Post

Postby bytebit » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am

Hi there. I'm thinking of getting a ride to the end of Morris Ranch Road off of Hwy 74 and hike to the Indian Canyon Post, via Cedar Springs and Jo Pond trails. Can anyone tell me if the trails are obvious the whole way? Thanks, David
Life is too short - make the most of your day!
bytebit

Re: Cedar Springs -- Jo Pond Trails 2 Indian Canyon Trading

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:06 am

I believe parts of that area are still under fire closure from the Mountain Fire.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby bytebit » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks, HJ. I'll try to get more details. -- David
bytebit

Postby pkirkham » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 am

I think that area is still officially closed form the Mountain Fire almost three years ago now! But, even if it isn't, the start of the Jo Pond Trail is VERY hard to find in Cedar Springs. It took me three aborted attempts many years ago before I actually found it, in the snow of all situations!! Since then I've hiked/run the trail down to the Indian Canyons a few times....you feel very remote out there, it's awesome!! If you do get to Cedar springs campsite go up the gully (south) to an old water trough and look to your right (north) and you should see a line of rocks indicating the edge of the trail gradually climbing...there may or may not still be a small rock cairn I made there a couple of years ago? Once you get on the 'trail' it's a little indistinct in places in the first mile or so until you get onto Garnett ridge proper, then you should have no trouble following it all the way down. Also, there's a sign the Indians placed on the ridge saying no downhill MTBing, then you'll know you're going in the right direction (north east). Have fun!!
pkirkham

Postby bytebit » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:44 am

Thanks for the info and insight!
bytebit

Postby pkirkham » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:27 am

Here's another description to help you find the start of the Jo Pond from a blog by Nick Gatel:

The Jo Pond Trail is not on most maps. It is fairly easy to follow. Some directions…

At the Cedar Springs campground, walk past the metal trough capturing spring water and you be walking up a gully. Keep an eye on the small ridge to your right. You will see the trail. If you go straight up the gully to the manzanita and heavy brush, you have gone too far. The first mile or so of the Jo Pond has a lot of growth, so pay attention to where you are hiking, the trail is not well maintained. Past here, the trail is easy to follow all the way down to the Indian Trading Post in Palm Canyon. You do not need to do any cross country hiking.
pkirkham

Postby bytebit » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:34 am

Wow! Thanks.
bytebit

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains