Mountain Goats (and other critters) at Whitewater

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Mountain Goats (and other critters) at Whitewater

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 pm

zippetydude wrote:dIt's about twice as heavy as my camera, but if you skip some of the 10,000 essentials you could probably squeeze it in! 8)
Now, now, Zip. I'll have you know I am improving. I offer you Exhibit "A", below.

On the right is my first backpack that was truly my own, a Jansport D-3, which I bought in 1986 after I got off active duty in the Army. It's enormous and weighs 5 or 6 lbs empty. It has now been passed on to a friend who's just getting started in backpacking.

On the left is my current backpack, a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which weighs less than two pounds. In it, I have not only my gear but also Joyce's. It contains 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads, 2 pillows, 2 sets of clothes (well, except for what we're wearing of course), sufficient food for two people, and a tent large enough for two. Total weight less than 30 lbs as loaded for the photo here. Solo, I'm usually under 20 lbs for a weekend. I'm going to go ahead and call that progress. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby David W » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
David W

Postby zippetydude » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Whoa...I may convert you yet! Can you say "8 ounce hip pack with 1.5 liter bladder" boys and girls? In truth, I now use a slightly larger pack, something like an ultralight backpack but 90% of the weight is in a 100 ounce bladder that rests on my hips. Still, being utilitarian in our approaches we seem to both be working toward the middle. In any case, oh my goodness your beautiful girl is growing up! I'm glad you have the good sense to enjoy these wonderful years with her. They are magical, are they not?

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:08 pm

zippetydude wrote:Whoa...I may convert you yet! Can you say "8 ounce hip pack with 1.5 liter bladder" boys and girls?
Ah, yes, but I'm suspicious that you're not staying out overnight with that gear. If you are, I want to know your secret, for you are beyond ultralight.

Our humble abode(s):

zippetydude wrote:In any case, oh my goodness your beautiful girl is growing up! I'm glad you have the good sense to enjoy these wonderful years with her. They are magical, are they not?
Aye, that she is, growing up I mean. Alas. But yes, I do try to spend a lot of time with her. And the moments are magical albeit fleeting.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:37 pm

zippetydude wrote:In any case, oh my goodness your beautiful girl is growing up!
Hey, Zip, exactly when was the last time you saw Joyce anyway? Surely you've seen her since the Hikin' Fools campout in June 2011, yes? Or is that the last time you saw her. Man! She was just barely walking back then.

Gone are the days where I could just strap her to my chest, and off I'd go. Sigh.

So, what, Kat must have her PhD, be married, and have 2.7 kids by now?

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:44 am

Life is flying by...Cat is 14, starts high school in the fall, and is working to become "internet famous" whatever that is. She has thousands of followers, though, so she may achieve that goal...too bad I don't know what it means. Nat just got on a plane to go interview at a college that is interviewing her for a full ride in Biomedical Engineering. Lauren is in her final year of Pre-Med, and is lining things up to start Med School. Ashlie is married and living in San Diego and has given me my first grandchild. My how times change. Me...I'm just getting older. :?

z
zippetydude

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains