San Jacinto Tram to Peak Current Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Re: San Jacinto Tram to Peak Current Trail Conditions

Postby roncruiser » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:26 am

Fattystl wrote:Hello Ron,
I am planning a hike for this coming weekend. What trail conditions did you encounter yesterday?

Hi,

There are short sections of the trail still covered in snow. I postholed twice up to the knee. On the snow covered sections, I used MICROspikes which helped out immensely. I had no problems with ice mainly because
of the MICROspikes. There is still snow on the short distance leading to the peak.

I lost the trail a few times because the snow covered sections of it. Very easy to overcome by backtracking and paying attention to foot tracks.

It was a very good pleasant hike. The weather was excellent.

I plan to do the hike again this Saturday.

Regards,
Ron
roncruiser

Postby danpenksa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23 pm

I'd be interesting in hearing about the snowpack from anyone who heads up this weekend. Considering doing my second C2C2C next weekend and would be good to get some beta. Thanks in advance!

Dan
danpenksa

Postby roncruiser » Sun May 01, 2016 2:53 pm

danpenksa wrote:I'd be interesting in hearing about the snowpack from anyone who heads up this weekend. Considering doing my second C2C2C next weekend and would be good to get some beta. Thanks in advance!

Dan

I hiked from tram to peak and back. The weather was cool and brisk! I brought MICROspikes but did not use them. The snow covered sections of the trail were very manageable without the MICROspikes.

What time do you plan to start your C2C2C hike?
roncruiser

Postby pkirkham » Mon May 02, 2016 8:31 am

FYI, I just completed an 19 mile circumnavigation of the peak yesterday. I started from the Deer Springs trailhead at 7:30 am hiked all the way to the peak, via a portion of the PCT, and then down the east-side trail to below Wellman's Divide where I picked up the PCT again down through Strawberry Cienega back to Strawberry junction. I then finished back down the Deer Springs trail. I finished at about 2:15 pm, just before a massive predicted thunderstorm hit the mountain!. I encountered small sections of snow above 8-9k on various trail sections but none was icy and in fact was pretty mushy. I carried microspikes but didn't need them at all. Here's my Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/562531579
Hope that helps.
pkirkham

Postby danpenksa » Mon May 02, 2016 9:17 am

roncruiser wrote:
danpenksa wrote:I'd be interesting in hearing about the snowpack from anyone who heads up this weekend. Considering doing my second C2C2C next weekend and would be good to get some beta. Thanks in advance!

Dan

I hiked from tram to peak and back. The weather was cool and brisk! I brought MICROspikes but did not use them. The snow covered sections of the trail were very manageable without the MICROspikes.

What time do you plan to start your C2C2C hike?

Awesome, thanks for the update/info; that definitely helps.

As far as my start time, I am still working that out, but probably between 3-3:30, which is similar to when I started last time. I lost the trail appx 2 miles from the trailhead on the way down last time in the dark (went in late October), which was a bit unnerving, so I want to start early again and take advantage of the longer days and ideally get down without it being completely dark.
danpenksa

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains