San Jacinto Tram to Peak Current Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

San Jacinto Tram to Peak Current Trail Conditions

Postby roncruiser » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:48 am

Hello all...

I'm a long time lurker, and just recently registered to start posting.

I've attempted the tram to peak twice. Both attempts were last year at this time.
The first time, we were not prepared for ice on the trail and turned around after about a 1.5 miles.
The 2nd time, a few weeks later, was a success, it started snowing and the winds picked up but the trail was free of ice and snow.

The group can deal with the weather and temps, but some of us prefer not to deal with extensive ice on the trail.
We all plan to bring mico-spikes for short sections of ice, and understand the weather will be in the mid to low 20's with snow.

Does anyone have current trail conditions? I suspect the trail conditions won't change if we do the hike this weekend on Saturday the 9th of April.

Any detailed information will be immensely helpful for a possible hike this weekend.

Thank you.
roncruiser

Re: San Jacinto Tram to Peak Current Trail Conditions

Postby Johnlee » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:32 pm

You can call the ranger station at 760-327-0222 to check on trail conditions from the tram to the summit. When they are open, they usually answer reliably. Last I heard (today) snowshoes were required to avoid postholing since there is 3-4 feet of snow near the summit. Also, according to forecasts there will be new snow this week, including snow on Saturday afternoon.
Johnlee

Postby The Swede » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:56 am

Hi

I was there yesterday and we reached the top in jogging shoes wihout any problems. We were thinking of using orientering shoes with metal stud's on the top part, but we took the full cactus to cloud trail and thought it was better to bring water than an extra pair of shoes. The orienteering shoes are very hard to use on "hard surface" trails. A ranger at the station close to the tram told us we would face all possible problems, including a 30 cm narrow section covered with ice and with a 30 feet drop on the side. We thoght this was going to be tough, but at least we would like to see it before we gave up. There was not really any drop, maybe a 45 degree slope with snow. You could easily slide down here on your butt without any problems. On the last part, maybe the vertical 150 feet, it was completely covered with snow, but this snow was hard to walk on so it didn't give any problems. Jogging shoes was not perfect, but with micro spikes there will not be any problems at all.

Good luck!
/Jonas
The Swede

Postby Minnesotadontyaknow » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Visiting from out of town and planning to go from the tram to summit if possible tomorrow (Sunday the 10th). Did anyone ascend today or yesterday? Looks like wet cold rainy (snow?)? Didn't pack the heavy duty gear, just trail shoes and warm waterproof clothing!

Any last minute info is greatly appreciated! (I figure the tram ride should be nice if we can't ascend anyways?)
Minnesotadontyaknow

Postby Minnesotadontyaknow » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:15 am

Did anyone try to ascend yesterday (Saturday)? We are going to attempt to go from tram to summit today but not sure if trail conditions or the weather will allow that. Just looking for a last minute trail report! I swear I submitted a longer post yesterday afternoon but I don't see it....
Minnesotadontyaknow

Postby roncruiser » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Minnesotadontyaknow wrote:Did anyone try to ascend yesterday (Saturday)? We are going to attempt to go from tram to summit today but not sure if trail conditions or the weather will allow that. Just looking for a last minute trail report! I swear I submitted a longer post yesterday afternoon but I don't see it....

How did it turn out for you? Did you end up going?

The last I heard, snow and rain wer in the forecast for last Saturday, 4/9. My group postponed our hike based on responses from the forum. I'll probably try again on 4/23 pending trail conditions.
roncruiser

Postby roncruiser » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Anyone with latest trail conditions as of Saturday 4/16?

Planning to ascend tram to peak this weekend 4/23. Just want to make sure I have the proper footwear.

Thanks....
roncruiser

Postby pkirkham » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:02 am

Hiked with my missus from Humber Park (Idyllwild) to the peak last Saturday. We used microspikes over running shoes from above Wellmans Divide (where the tram trail intersects the trail coming up from the PCT) in various spots due to the icy nature of the snow in the shady forested areas. Other open sunny areas were completely clear of snow/ice. We then climbed the snow-bound ridge, from the last main switchback, directly all the way up to the summit with microspikes again. We passed a lot of people with just running shoes or hiking boots in the snow/ice sections who were slipping and sliding all over the place...not too much fun I think! The snow in the forested shady areas above 9000' will be around for a while as it is the remnant of the January storm which dumped a lot of snow at once. In my humble opinion, microspikes are light and worth their weight for the sections you still need them.
pkirkham

Postby roncruiser » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:54 am

pkirkham wrote:Hiked with my missus from Humber Park (Idyllwild) to the peak last Saturday. We used microspikes over running shoes from above Wellmans Divide (where the tram trail intersects the trail coming up from the PCT) in various spots due to the icy nature of the snow in the shady forested areas. Other open sunny areas were completely clear of snow/ice. We then climbed the snow-bound ridge, from the last main switchback, directly all the way up to the summit with microspikes again. We passed a lot of people with just running shoes or hiking boots in the snow/ice sections who were slipping and sliding all over the place...not too much fun I think! The snow in the forested shady areas above 9000' will be around for a while as it is the remnant of the January storm which dumped a lot of snow at once. In my humble opinion, microspikes are light and worth their weight for the sections you still need them.

Thank you very much. That was quite helpful. I'll definitely bring the MICROspikes and ICEtrekkers. Switch off between the two to evaluate them properly.
The forecast is clear weather for Saturday!
roncruiser

Postby Fattystl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:29 am

Hello Ron,
I am planning a hike for this coming weekend. What trail conditions did you encounter yesterday?
Fattystl

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains