A less than Charmin' topic ...

General Palm Springs area.

Postby SDathlete » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:34 pm

Has anyone ever hiked the PCT from the Mexican Border up to about Lake Morena or even as far north to Scissors Crossing? Now that's a "trashed" (pun intended) trail! I hiked this first section about a year ago with three friends over two days and each of us carried out a FULL garbage bag of trash from this part of the PCT...and could easily have done two each but we couldn't take anymore weight. I know the "clientele" is slightly different (no stereotyping here :lol: ) in this part of the world but the lack of disrespect on the trail is mind blowing sometimes.
SDathlete

Postby lilbitmo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:33 pm

SDathlete wrote:Has anyone ever hiked the PCT from the Mexican Border up to about Lake Morena or even as far north to Scissors Crossing? Now that's a "trashed" (pun intended) trail! I hiked this first section about a year ago with three friends over two days and each of us carried out a FULL garbage bag of trash from this part of the PCT...and could easily have done two each but we couldn't take anymore weight. I know the "clientele" is slightly different (no stereotyping here :lol: ) in this part of the world but the lack of disrespect on the trail is mind blowing sometimes.

99% of that is from the "Illegals" using the trail to gain access to the US, that's why so many helicopters fly over that section - I've found full packs of clothing in little turn outs down there along the PCT - most hikers do the "leave no trace ethics" but not all.
lilbitmo

Postby SDathlete » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm

lilbitmo wrote:
SDathlete wrote:Has anyone ever hiked the PCT from the Mexican Border up to about Lake Morena or even as far north to Scissors Crossing? Now that's a "trashed" (pun intended) trail! I hiked this first section about a year ago with three friends over two days and each of us carried out a FULL garbage bag of trash from this part of the PCT...and could easily have done two each but we couldn't take anymore weight. I know the "clientele" is slightly different (no stereotyping here :lol: ) in this part of the world but the lack of disrespect on the trail is mind blowing sometimes.

99% of that is from the "Illegals" using the trail to gain access to the US, that's why so many helicopters fly over that section - I've found full packs of clothing in little turn outs down there along the PCT - most hikers do the "leave no trace ethics" but not all.

Hey Lilbitmo...I know it's mostly illegals. I was trying not to sound racist. Damn Mexicans!
SDathlete

Postby lilbitmo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey Lilbitmo...I know it's mostly illegals. I was trying not to sound racist. Damn Mexicans!

I'm not being racists at all and I didn't think you were either, it's sad that one of the National Treasures we have "The PCT" is being used for that purpose - and not all illegals are Mexican, the numbers are staggering from how many are coming from every country south of the US - it's just that's the main way north so they all use it :(
lilbitmo

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Folks, sorry to keep bringing this old post back to life but alas, the Excrementally Challenged still walk among us. I was reminded of this fact today during my usual 'majestic trudge' up to 3k on Skyline. Numerous little piles of TP along the way offended mine eyes.

So again, I remind those new to the trail: toilet paper does not degrade well here. There just isn't enough rain. Burying it does not usually work as critters dig it out. If you have the foresight to pack tp, then you can certainly include a plastic ziplock bag as well. Don't be a gross pig. Carry it out.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Unfortunately as you mentioned in your OP the people doing this probably don't participate in this forum. The worst thing about this particular litter is that, unlike other trash I come across on Skyline, I don't feel comfortable picking this stuff up. I appreciate Ellen's comment about bringing gloves, but I'd probably be too grossed out to do that. Maybe push it off the trail and put a large rock on top of it? Either way, I'm always at a total loss how some people seem to have absolutely no concern with desecrating the wilderness.

z
zippetydude

Sorry... my fault

Postby Screerider » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 am

I'm one of those responsible for the excess of white paper. I pick up the trash, but I leave the white paper.
Screerider

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:47 am

cynthia23 wrote:Excrementally Challenged
:lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am

You might even say "excreMENTALLY challenged"!
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Wow, your pun has, er, composted richly with my original joke. I like that even better . :D But sadly agree with you that I'm way too grossed out to even think about picking up used TP. Usually, what I do is throw rocks on top of it (while keeping a safe distance) until it's mostly covered.

Like you, I can't fathom why anybody would think doing this is okay. :(
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains