This Onion can make a grown man cry

General Palm Springs area.

Postby neverwashasbeen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Zip, real kind of you to invite everyone, but reverse psychology doesn't work for everyone. I've been following your onion rock adventures with great interest, but so far, not enough of a hook. Keep trying! :wink:
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby jnj86 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Wonder what the hike would be like coming from Black Mtn Rd? Maybe park at Farview Pt and hike down? My wife and I camp a lot at Boulder Basin and have hiked down to other rock piles not too far from your onion.

Is this the onion... 33.866496,-116.758104 ?

I'm curious to see just how close we have gotten to it on our previous hikes.

Found a pic from a couple years ago, wonder if the onion is what is in the red circle.

jnj86

Postby bluerail » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm

That seems far too easy for someone with zips issues.
bluerail

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 pm

I agree with Robert Hunt, this has been a delightful series of TR's, Zip. I mean, hey, you pretty much had me at "fresh mountain lion scat." Your sense of humor made the agonizing hours fly by--for me, at least. :)

Seriously, this is what exploring is all about, Zip. Good job getting up there. Triumph!
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Issues!?! I have issues?!? :shock:

As far as a hook, don't take me seriously...It's not that bad. Just a little farther. C'mon. Just a lilbitmo!

In truth, I could not see any realistic path down to it from above only because of the bushwhacking, but it's so much shorter and easier from that direction that if the road is open it would make a lot of sense to go ahead and try that out. I don't know if I mentioned, but it's a teensy weensy bit hard from the bottom. nothing more than that though!

z
zippetydude

Postby lilbitmo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

zippetydude wrote: Just a little farther. C'mon. Just a lilbitmo!

z

Somehow I knew I'd end up in this conversation :shock: :D
lilbitmo

Postby zippetydude » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Hah, so you caught that did you?! Hi Patrick. Interested?

Cynthia, wanna go find a kitty? Maybe live dangerously and check out a dark cave for new inhabitants?

I might be going on Sunday, depending on my knee, if I do I'll be traveling slowly due to my creaky old bones, so don't anyone plan on a speedy pace. Steve said he might go if his work allows.

BTW, if there is any chance of fog there is zero chance I'll be going this weekend! :wink:

z
zippetydude

Postby bluerail » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm

i say we just end up at your house drinking coffee or beer and playing on the slackline.
bluerail

Postby lilbitmo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Sam, Norma, Cori and I will be playing in the southern Sierra's on both days, otherwise that sounds like a very fun outing.

Next time Zip, next time. :D
lilbitmo

seekin quercetin among the quercus, eh?

Postby arocknoid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Strong work, Zip.

Thanks for to intriguing TRs of the work in progress; glad to see your perseverance and persistence pay off.

As you finally neared your goal of Teh Onion, even the Heavens wept with joy, and began to leak all over the mountainside.

As for the fresh mountain lion scat, don't pay no nevah mind; they's smart enough to know that if you are tough enough to traipse that trail, you are too tough to eat, let alone take down.
"Him again! Come along kitties, let's look for some easy-pickin' venison instead."

You got some nice pics, for those conditions, e.g.:

Sure would be nice to join y'all this Sun, but I'll be grinding a stone with my nose (verk, verk).

kind regards,
da noid
arocknoid

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains