TR Santa Rosa Crossings

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Florian » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

This thread is about very remote areas of the Santa Rosa mtns. We're not discussing a vacant lot in the city about to be bulldozed for a new shopping center.

-Florian
Florian

Postby bluerail » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Oh I thought this had to do with an issue of ethics. Not a particular region
bluerail

Postby Florian » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm

I would leave all artifacts in place. If you want to give coords to some agency that's fine. (I never made that suggestion.) I also want to make clear that in your post immediately before my prior post that you edited that post adding the entire second paragraph after i had replied.

-Florian
Florian

Postby bluerail » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:15 pm

The coordinates suggestion was in reference to some guys thoughts which are very viable If given to the right party.

As to my edit, I was typing the edit at the time of your response but not sure I understand your concern there.
bluerail

Postby Florian » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:26 pm

bluerail wrote:As to my edit, I was typing the edit at the time of your response but not sure I understand your concern there.

Makes my earlier reply seem incomplete. I thought you were directing the GPS comment toward me.

-Florian
Florian

Postby halhiker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Info to museums and authorities is overrated. What are they really going to learn from another olla or the location of a mortar? Yeah, nothing. Most museums and academic institutions have hoards of artifacts boxed away in storage that would probably be better appreciated in the public realm but, I guess, you can justify almost anything in the name of science.

I leave whatever I find not because of some imagined scientific knowledge but because I think it was cool that I found it and I hope someone else will have that same experience. If I ever find anything really exciting, the "authorities" will be the last people I tell. They tend to just close off areas for their own private use, anyway.

Anyway, the trail part interested me most. I'd imagine those trails through the chaparral were blazed initially after a big fire and the area was free of brush. Once the trails were in use, the constant traffic kept them clear. Now, since no one lives there they've become overgrown and impossible to travel easily. I love that area because of its wildness and I guess it's the inaccessibility that keeps it that way.
halhiker

Postby bluerail » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 am

now thats well put and completely acceptable in my mind. finding the right people to give the information to is almost impossible. Few sites are going to shed more knowledge on what is already known, especially in this area. But who knows there is that possibility. But leaving them in hopes that someone else finds them, definitely a worthwhile approach. when there far enough out there that you feel they are safe from humans and all you have to wonder about is a natural event that takes them for good.

I do love marveling at our history though, in the dirt, in my hand or even in a museum. Its always a priceless experience.
bluerail

Postby The Ghost » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am

Having hiked in the back country of the Santa Rosas and San Jacintos for years, I can attest that there are some strange and wonderful things up there. Leave the artifacts alone folks, there is such a thing as bad karma.
The Ghost

Postby halhiker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 pm

The Ghost wrote:Leave the artifacts alone folks, there is such a thing as bad karma.

I know. I saw that episode of the Brady Bunch, too.
halhiker

Wild places

Postby House of the Crow » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:14 pm

For a few years now I've lurked on this forum watching as the Santa Rosas have registered more and more activity and interest. Whenever I go up into the mountains I try to respect the region's secrets and good karma, and I am really really happy to see others in this forum tastefully doing the same. Best to you all; perhaps run into you in the backcountry some time.
Far away; flying home.
House of the Crow

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains