C2C2C Newby trip report-1st time on a forum as well

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 pm

lilbitmo wrote:if you add the distance from the tram door to those distances it comes out to be 6 or 6.1 miles
Around 12 RT sounds about right just based on my times as I've done the hike and the topo map -- for the "standard route" through Round Valley and Wellman Divide.

Taking the Sid Davis route might cut off a mile RT -- more if one takes the east ridge up from Miller Saddle to gain the summit.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby 63ChevyII » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Is it 5.8 from the Tram to the Peak, or 5.8 from the Ranger Station to the Peak? I assumed it was .3 from Tram to Ranger Station, then another 5.5 from Ranger Station to Peak.

I've spent fair amount of time trying to figure out the mileage and elevation for the landmarks along Skyline. When hiking Skyline from Ramon Road, my cheapo GPS has given me 11+ miles to the tram. This is before the file was exported and the GPS automatically removes points, thus reducing the mileage. IIRC, my GPS said 22+ miles before exporting my C2C file, which become 20.97 miles after it was exported.

At this point, I'd guess that Ramon Road to Grubbs Notch is 10.6. Add .4 to get to the ranger station, +5.5 to the peak, so a 16.5 mile ascent. Add 5.8 to get back to the tram and you're looking at 22.3. If you start at Museum
Road, now this is a guess, but it's probably about 21.6 based on my calculations. If it's actually 6.1 from tram to peak, add an additional .3 miles for both guesstimates.

My Android phone has tracked skyline at less than 9 from the Musuem - but I believe this is due to poor reception along certain sections of the trail. I also suspect that the phone may be removing points or doesn't add a point as frequently as my GPS unit.
63ChevyII

Postby HH8 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Robert Hunt wrote: Forgot to list gps on stuff carried.

That and footwear are just naturally assumed, right Fern?
HH8

Great Trip Report!

Postby safarihatdude » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 am

I like it! I am planning on the same first time adventure run on Sunday, Nov 10th. Do you think there will be significantly more snow then? Any poles, microspikes for that date, do you think? I am also a newbie, at least for C2C summit to San Jacinto, but a seasoned ultra running peep.
safarihatdude

Postby Robert Hunt » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 am

Ahh...so the legendary Fern does exist! Safari, seems that a danger of skyline is unexpected time on trail if you get off-route or tired(common ultra risk). As a first-timer, I was able to gauge my expected pace by knowing a general comparison to the normal pace of Nickademus Hollon. I carried extra fuel & water in case. Good luck & don't forget to take in the views!
Robert Hunt

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains