Young Hikers Missing in Joshua Tree Since Thursday [7/27/17]

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Young Hikers Missing in Joshua Tree Since Thursday

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 pm

https://www.napsgfoundation.org/wp-cont ... 142015.pdf

Page 26/18 is interesting. Doppler Derived Beacon Locations. I wonder if the double locations sometimes happens with the A-GPS of cell phones if a hill is blocking satellites. That might explain the Maze parking lot + Smith Water ping.

Edit: I thought about this some more. Boulders could block multiple satellites, probably more likely than a hill. The simplest explanation might be the steel frame of the car blocking satellites. Does anybody notice a GPS device having issues inside a car?
A penny saved is greater than a penny earned because you don't have to pay taxes on it.
Perry
Site Admin

Re: Young Hikers Missing in Joshua Tree Since Thursday

Postby mattytreks » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Perry (or some other Admin), can you please update the subject of this thread to read "Young Hikers Missing in Joshua Tree Since 7/27", instead of "Young Hikers Missing in Joshua Tree Since Thursday"?

I think that will give folks a bit more context, at-a-glance. :)

Thanks!
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
mattytreks

Re: Young Hikers Missing in Joshua Tree Since Thursday [7/27

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Done. I see where you're coming from on that. The date of the original post is very small print. I even added the year so that next year after July 27 someone doesn't go OMG we gotta go find them now! Wait, I'm thinking of the web sleuths thread. I haven't made it through the whole thing yet, but my favorite post so far is #151 on page 11:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showth ... 017/page11
A penny saved is greater than a penny earned because you don't have to pay taxes on it.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby cynthia23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Good thinking on the title change. Perry, I assume you're referring to the 'attack tortoise' theory? :)

Seriously, though, I wonder where the NPS is at in their investigation?? I wonder if the out of town 'overhead' team is still here?
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby neverwashasbeen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 pm

As I drove past the parking area today, I glanced a sign that says "ACTIVE SEARCH AREA". I didn't stop to read the fine print.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains